Author Topic: 2nd chance  (Read 1746 times)

ronin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 0
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
Re: 2nd chance
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 01:16:20 AM »
Good luck and keep us updated. Btw, nice wheels!! what wheels are those and where did you get em?

Zinik Z28. I got that specific one off ebay because it was 40% off. You can still get them from the tire rack in some sizes. They'll just barely work on a Camaro provided you're willing to settle with a total of 2 inches thinner then the real Aventador.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 01:17:51 AM by ronin »

SchulzeA

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Liked: 217
  • Member Rating Points: +33/-1
  • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 12:31:14 AM »
You cut up the boat!? No fishing or skiing this year  :'(
Why not share the latest photos? Someone else building a front engine car can possibly pick up some tips/help from your progress.

notnilc20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Liked: 174
  • Member Rating Points: +16/-0
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 12:29:02 AM »
Good luck and keep us updated. Btw, nice wheels!! what wheels are those and where did you get em? 

ronin

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 12:04:56 AM »
No_Bull. I think there WERE a few people who offered constructive criticism. Although I don't think they were getting what I was asking of them, I never had a problem with those people. Anyone would have a problem with the people I had a problem with, providing you're on the receiving end of the frenzy. I'd have to double check but I don't think I ever replied to any of the comments I had a problem with. I am not a believer in reasoning with human beings who act like wild animals. I either avoid them without a word or do something to stop them.

How was the "front engine look" solved? What are you going to do about it to make it look right?

There are several different things I put together. In the end, I bought a scale model of a Camaro and experimented with them.

The first and probably biggest is simply avoiding carkitinc.com's scissor door rig as it involves a hefty bar over the top of the car which is a HUGE contributor to the "pregnant" front end look. I actually have a pretty straight-forward and simple plan for dealing with the scissor door issue.

Second, the basic design of the Aventador it's self is more compatible with the Camaro and helps mask the front engine all by it's self. 3rd, I tried this both on the model and in full scale. Simply scooting the windshield forward about 3 inches has an effect you'd have to see to believe (and photoshopping doesn't translate half as well as hands on experiments do. Finally, enlarging the wheel well a little and reshaping the fender help allot. I am still experimenting with this one and will be until the shell is done, but experiments so far (both in small scale and full scale) have been very promising. I don't think any one of those is going to help that much by it's self. It's when you bring it all together that things get interesting.

PICTURE TIME!!!

OK, I am just guessing some of you think I'd actually be dumb enough to sand down what's in the photos, paint them and call it done. So a little explanation is needed. Since I don't have the resources to be making a mold (and it probably wouldn't be a good idea anyway) I am forced to build this the same way you'd scratch build a scale model. Building the basic structure, caking on allot of fiberglass and sculpting it down to what is needed. This is necessary for a variety of reasons, which include the fact that; to make it work on a Camaro, there's allot of need to carefully adjust and fine tune it.

What you see in these photos are just part of the initial skeletal structure. Mostly made out of an old boat I cut up. These pictures are about a month old and the project is much further along but to be quite frank, this forum has not earned my trust to the point that I'd be willing to share pictures of it at it's current stage.

Anyway, the first picture is a MS paint example of the 3 stage process. For a hands-on look, I used basically the same process in this rifle stock making tutorial. In the tutorial, the equivalent to what you see in the car project photos is the original wood rifle stock.

Making a custom M-14 rifle stock (1 of 4)

Making a custom M-14 rifle stock (2 of 4)

Making a custom M-14 rifle stock (3 of 4)

Making a custom M-14 rifle stock (4 of 4)

The rest of the pictures speak for themselves.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 05:02:19 AM by ronin »

Murci-Me

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 09:06:32 PM »
How was the "front engine look" solved? What are you going to do about it to make it look right?

No Bull

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • Liked: 299
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
  • Replication is the sincerest form of flattery
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 06:24:58 PM »
I'm a registered member here already but when I first registered the welcome was very cold, so I left and didn't give this place another thought for almost a year I think.

A friend convinced me to give this place a 2nd chance.

Since my own project is pretty much squared away, I am not sure if I'll be needing much from this place but it's always possible I guess.

Anyway, my project is unique. It's a Lamborghini Aventador look-alike but not a true exact replica. If you've seen the Mercy 4 that carkitinc.com built, it's basically an Aventador version of the same thing except more simplified, the problem with the front engine look is solved, and consequently the shell is being built from scratch rather then modified off a real Aventador body.

Current status. Having to build some stuff for my work area in order to comply with local regulations. Part of the front and back are in tact but still in their "ugly state", needing "meat" added, refinement, reinforcement etc. I'll share some pics later today.

Since I am having to take a break to do that, I am focusing mostly on buying wheels and other parts and taking on extra work to pay for it all.

Well, that's it for now.

Ronin, the welcome started out very warm and turned cold when you ignored the advice provided to you.  There is collective experience amongst the members that was given to you with the caveat that you can do whatever you'd like with your time and money.  You were clearly overcommitting on a very large project that frankly doesn't make sense to most of us then and under delivering on time, money and the other resources required to construct a car of decent quality. This brought about criticism which you honestly asked for. 

I welcome everyone to this site and in the spirit of the hobby, I encourage everyone to share ideas and constructive criticism that helps with the planning and construction of a project.  Like I told you before, show us all how wrong we are and start a build diary with pictures and information but remember that you are on a public forum and feedback (negative and positive) is par for the course.   

Welcome back   8)

Chris
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 06:26:38 PM by No Bull »

ronin

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 06:10:00 PM »
Cool, is this the one on the camaro donor?

yes

Transcend

• Liked: 4
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 04:07:20 PM »
Cool, is this the one on the camaro donor?

ronin

2nd chance
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 03:50:56 PM »
I'm a registered member here already but when I first registered the welcome was very cold, so I left and didn't give this place another thought for almost a year I think.

A friend convinced me to give this place a 2nd chance.

Since my own project is pretty much squared away, I am not sure if I'll be needing much from this place but it's always possible I guess.

Anyway, my project is unique. It's a Lamborghini Aventador look-alike but not a true exact replica. If you've seen the Mercy 4 that carkitinc.com built, it's basically an Aventador version of the same thing except more simplified, the problem with the front engine look is solved, and consequently the shell is being built from scratch rather then modified off a real Aventador body.

Current status. Having to build some stuff for my work area in order to comply with local regulations. Part of the front and back are in tact but still in their "ugly state", needing "meat" added, refinement, reinforcement etc. I'll share some pics later today.

Since I am having to take a break to do that, I am focusing mostly on buying wheels and other parts and taking on extra work to pay for it all.

Well, that's it for now.