How To - Tips > Doors

Door Hinges - The different types.

<< < (3/4) > >>

No Bull:
Here is a video that Jamie posted on YouTube a while back.  This is another idea for non-OEM style hinges that seems to be very strong and work really well.

Start at the 1:00 mark

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruJw5tqPE6I&feature=plcp

Chris

01Lambiero:
Thoughts to keep in mind when choosing your door hinges.  Good hinges are not cheap hinges.  Sometimes during your build you must put quality ahead of price ie: windows, taillight lens, grilles, emblems, etc.  Your hinge is ? 40" distance from your latch?  Let's say you went really cheap and bought a barn door hinge from your local hardware store.  Yes, it does have a little slop in it from side to side. Now multiply that movement 40" away.  I think that you get the picture.  Bronze bushings are good and inexpensive in building a hinge.  I don't know how many openings and closings they would do before they show any wear.  I have also put needle roller bearings in some hinges.  You have to watch which needle bearings you purchase also.  Some have caged rollers.  I don't like these as the needles are spread apart from each other.  I like the ones with lots of bearings next to each other.  I would think that these bearings would live for decades and never need relubrication as your doors only move approx. 45ยบ to the opened position.  I don't have any CNC equipment.  My mill is a manual op type as is my old lathe.  I spend 2 days building a set of hinges.  Metal, bearings, stainless pins, machining, metal finish, welding, etc.  It all adds up to a quality hinge.  Check the quality of the hinges before you buy or make sure that you can return them if you don't like them.  Expect to pay somewhere between $350-500 for hinges or you can purchase OEM for $1000 ea.   OUCH!!!
Jim

Onewickedsvt:
i need affordable hinges asap!

keep the fancy schmancy paint the powdercoat! dont need it! bare steel! thanks!

usmc_butler:
Here are a few more hinges to add to the list

LP 640 NuCountry:
Thanks to NoBull for the  Info and time well spent.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version