Author Topic: Fiero shifter and selector cable stretch question  (Read 5075 times)

jdinner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 25
  • Member Rating Points: +6/-0
    • KwikerCars
Re: Fiero shifter and selector cable stretch question
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2013, 06:16:14 AM »
Come on, jd.  You spoil sport.  Do Canadians (Canadiens) work on "our" Labor Day down here? ::scratch ::scratch
Sorry, my bad.
No work for us on Labour Day. Back to school tomorrow!

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2013, 11:08:15 PM »
Come on, jd.  You spoil sport.  Do Canadians (Canadiens) work on "our" Labor Day down here? ::scratch ::scratch
20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

msaby

• Liked: 3
  • Member Rating Points: +3/-0
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2013, 09:41:20 PM »
Contact Push and Pull cable out of CA.  they will make you the fiero cables any length you want.  I bought mine several years ago and they are excellent quality and and they were reasonably priced,  You will have to adjust them properly before you can use them.  I had them make mine 10"  longer however I think 8" would have been fine.
Mike

jdinner

• KwikerCars
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2013, 03:01:21 PM »
Man had I known this would be so much trouble I would have bought an automatic. 
Are you ever in for a surprise if you thing that is trouble.

tonypaul

• Liked: 54
  • Member Rating Points: +7/-0
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2013, 01:40:51 PM »
Just try the cables you have now, then decide if you need longer ones. Its good your thinking ahead but some issues your going to have to address once you get at that point....

Depending on what center console you use you may have to reposition your shifter anyway. You might be able to set your shifter back an inch and make the cables a more direct connection if the cables are a little short.

AsantiLP

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 14
  • Member Rating Points: +2/-0
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2013, 11:34:42 AM »
I have a 4 spd manual transmission and car year is 86. If I wanted to go the easy route and just have westcoastfiero make me an extended shifter and selector cables how much longer do they have to be?10.5 inches because that's how much the car was stretched?Reason I am asking is when I spoke to someone at westcoastfiero they said the shifter cable is not straight so it might not be that much, he did not know so he asked me how much longer do i want it to be. he said it shouldn't be too long because it might be touching the exhaust then. Man had I known this would be so much trouble I would have bought an automatic. Thank you guys for you help. Please if anyone has any pictures or other ways for it to be done please let me know. I will show this post to my welder in hope he figures out what needs to be done. Again, thank you guys

eddie

• Liked: 286
  • Member Rating Points: +19/-2
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2013, 08:11:20 AM »
you can extend cable , simple . here how is done by one guy from MM. (check Derwin)
 http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/technical-discussion-question/219-shift-cables-stretch.html
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 08:12:51 AM by eddie »

jdinner

• KwikerCars
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 07:34:24 AM »
You need to add sections to; rear brake line, clutch line, coolant hoses, emergency brake cable (or move the e-brake handle rearward) and chassis electrical may need to be rerouted too.
If you need to lengthen the cables, relocate and mount the two cable case mounts further from the transmission. Mount as close as you can to the transmission. Cut and weld the solid portions of the cable ends the exact same length you moved the bracket.

AsantiLP

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 12:22:49 AM »
Do I still have to re drill the hole in the firewall to get them to work or you think they will work the way they are?And does that go for selector cable too?What about other lines like AC and what else has to be stretched?How did you do that?My welder never did this so I have to gather information and let him know. Thank you so much for the info man I really appreciate it

tonypaul

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 11:24:04 PM »
So cables don't have to be stretched?My fiero is 86 V6 with 4spd manual transmission

It "should" fit. The cables have a long bend in them when in the factory Fiero, when you stretch the Fiero the cables will just be a more straight shot. I havnt heard of anyone having to get longer cables on a replica when using the Fiero engine/trans....

AsantiLP

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 11:03:03 PM »
So cables don't have to be stretched?My fiero is 86 V6 with 4spd manual transmission

tonypaul

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 10:56:58 PM »
What engine/trans? On mine when I had the sbc/ fiero 5 speed, I just used the factory cables, they will reach. I think I might have pulled one of the cables out of the firewall and drilled another hole about 1 1/2" to the side of the factory hole to give me a little more reach.

AsantiLP

Fiero shifter and selector cable stretch question
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 09:42:26 PM »
Hello guys I have a question. I found a guy who stretched my fiero 10.5 in and now I have to do the shifter and selector cables. Does anyone has pictures of how this can be done and do they both have to be stretched by 10.5 inches if the car was stretched by that much? I called WestCoastFiero and the guy didn't know how long they would have to be stretched.He was saying the cable is not straight so he doesn't know. Both cables will cost about $300 but I wanted to see if there is a easy way to do it so I save some money. My welder could do it easily I just need to show him how it's done because he has never done it before so I need either pictures or explanations on how it's done. Please help. Thanks guys