Poll

Overall opinion of this build

amazing will cause people to brake
run of the mill replica with an interesting rear that can be a show car with the right paint job
pretty nifty and has a lot of potential
abort mission while I still can
 people will laugh and feel embarrassed for me

Author Topic: NEW PROJECT~~~HELP  (Read 8458 times)

BigPines

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Liked: 272
  • Member Rating Points: +28/-1
Re: NEW PROJECT~~~HELP
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2013, 03:28:47 PM »
Congratulations on your decision to build! Just take one step at a time and you'll be fine.

When the car arrives please take pictures and start a build thread/diary. I look forward to it.
If I don't have time to do it right, when will I have time to do it over?

satak44

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 0
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2013, 01:33:03 PM »
apparently the engine bay is large enough to accomodate any engine i throw at the bay.

Here are some suggestions..

LEANING TOWARDS--92 Camaro V8 LS1 (Engine and tranny completely rebuilt for $1500!)
88 Corvette ($$$mucho dinero)
LS1 with Porcshe transaxle
These pretzels are making me thirsty!

satak44

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2013, 01:26:58 PM »
As for the rear end..  lol

He said he was going for a "one off" type of deal for the rear.  He wanted to do a custom Aventador look.

I kind of like it.  Its gutsy and tasteful all considered.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 01:28:42 PM by satak44 »

Tallon

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Liked: 186
  • Member Rating Points: +18/-5
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2013, 01:25:34 PM »
Exactly... without this site alone, I'd be lost :)

satak44

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2013, 01:24:07 PM »
Its all good!  Glad everyone on here conducts themselves as gentleman.

I agree with you guys that i should undertake this challenge on my own.

It would be great to have an experienced person to give me tips and pointers in person.  Im sure you guys have done the whole trial and error thing several times over.

The car should be arriving tomorrow around noon eastern time.  Im a bit nervous because it is still far off from completion.

Tallon

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2013, 01:23:31 PM »
Yes I didn't mean they would take on this project, you'd have to pay for a complete build from them. I knew he wasn't going for that high end of a build. Not many people are. Just to mention really the only "reputable builder" I know of.

BigPines

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 01:13:05 PM »
Right. I didn't mean to imply there are no good people/builders. I have encountered lots of great people in my short time involved in this hobby.

Beyond Customs does a fantastic job but they are in Australia and I could be wrong but I don't think they would pick up someone else's build in this stage and finish it anyway. Perhaps they will chime in. They build their own stuff from the ground up and they do a very very good job.

Tallon

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 01:01:55 PM »
There are good people but most of us are just here building our own cars on our own limited time, not many people into this hobby to begin with. So any builder who "builds for others" are only in it to take advantage of us. The only person on here who is having theirs built (and knows for sure they are getting it) I'm pretty sure is a beyond customs build.

by the way that looks more like the mercy 1
then again I'm not sure what happened to the rear end, I've never seen anything like it :S
very strange how they hinged the engine lid too.

I'd make sure if the chassis was safely built and the "control arms"? It's hard to see much but it looks like all linkage :\
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 01:16:31 PM by Tallon »

BigPines

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 11:32:56 AM »
I was looking at that car the other day.

I hate to tell you this but I don't know of any "builder" that will actually take a project in that stage and complete it for you. Not just in NY but anywhere in the country. There are a few so-called builders that will entertain you but I have yet to see a situation like this end well. Sorry but that is the truth. If someone else knows different, please feel free to correct me.

Why don't you roll up your sleeves and finish it off yourself? There are a lot of resources out here. It will take time and money but it could be finished off nice.

satak44

satak44

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 10:54:42 AM »
I agree with you.  call me a sucker but i believe there are still good people in this world.

I am in law enforcement so i am aware of scammers, thats why i am reaching out to you guys.  You are the experts and i would like to be guided by your input and advice 

Tallon

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 10:09:32 AM »
If you were set on buying this to have someone else build it for you I wish you would have done more research. These "reputable" and "affordable" people don't really exist. Maybe for kit cars but not replicas.

satak44

NEW PROJECT~~~HELP
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 09:35:55 AM »
Hello all

Let me start by introducing myself, Im Sam...So this is my story:

I have been a car enthusiast since the ripe age of 16 years old.  Im 33 now and 29 cars later i was surfing the web and came across a 1999 ferrari F355 on craigslist.  The car was amazing and surprisingly affordable.  The seller was asking 35k with only 19k miles and meticulously maintained.  Only problem was that the insurance quote was $8200 per year...lol

So my natural curiosity lead me to the world of Kit Cars and Replicas. 

As i caroused through the net i came across a nifty looking fiberglass project that someone was abandoning. The kit is a KITCARINC MERCY-2 replica.
The builder had already dumped a significant amount of money on the vehicle and basically depleted his budget quickly.  So there i was, i offered him 4500 and sure enough he jumped at the opportunity.  A pleasant transaction to say the least.

The kit is supported by a custom tube chassis
suspension, wheels, rims, power rack and pinion and a few other components have been assembled to make a basic roller.

Can anyone recommend a knowledgeable builder in the 5 Boros of New York or Long Island that is affordable?  I have a garage and back yard, so if there is a good mobile mechanic type that will work.   I'm not in a rush either so as to finish by august 2014.

Also, if someone in the area has done this...you are welcomed to reach out to me and show me yours so that i can pick you brain.

Ill post some pictures soon!!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 09:57:58 AM by satak44 »