How To - Tips > Doors

how do you get the window to stop?

(1/5) > >>

pkovgolf:
Thank you RT!
That was a REALLY helpful set of responses/thread!
Awesome

notnilc20:
RT, I got the switches mounted and I mounted them to a stationary spot (drilled a hole and used a small bolt and nut and didn't have to weld any tabs or anything and was able to route the wiring behind the motor mount so they weren't getting in the way of the gear.  anyway they work great!  Just wanted to say thank you for your insight and next time the drinks are on me.   ::beers  cheers

RT:
You can put the switches any place that gives you an accurate, consistant stop location for both travels up/down of the window.
I like to design in modules.  My window drives are on a removable panel that bolts to my door steel frame.  The mechanical stops and electrical switches are mounted on this panel and detect the window location by where the linkage is in its travel.  There is very little excess movement (play) in the motion of the window glass relative to the movement of the drive linkage so once I have them set, they work consistently.  If I ever have any "issues" with the window drive, I can remove the module.  If I don't move the switches or stops on the module, they will still be adjusted when I re-install the module.

RT

Onewickedsvt:
so would it be best to add the switch on the window channel area so when it does down, the window trips the switch?

thanks!

RT:
notnilc20,
It sounds like you want to mount the switches on the moving gear of the motor drive.  I would mount them on a non-moving support that is fixed to the motor drive base and have the gear or a bendable metal tab welded to the drive that trips the switch.  Mounting solidly to the motor base will assure a constant positioning of the switch to the tripper.  Using a bendable metal tab will allow you to fine tune the stopping point.
If you got the bigger size switch, use the mounting holes to put screws through to secure the switch.  If you got the subminiature switch, you could do what I did and use coat hanger wire through the holes and weld the wire to a base with a tab screwed to the base to keep the switch in place on the wires.
The subminiature switches require soldering the wires to tabs.  I cut thin pieces of plastic sheet, such as those sample credit cards we all get in the mail, as insulators to make sure the wires don't short out on the metal mounting.  Just put matching holes in them and slip them over the mounting wires.

RT

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version