Author Topic: 99 vette trans with ls3  (Read 5352 times)

BigPines

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Liked: 272
  • Member Rating Points: +28/-1
Re: 99 vette trans with ls3
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 09:13:37 PM »
I really like the idea so I won't try to discourage you. In fact, I would love to do this myself. However, there are a couple of obstacles:

1) You'd have to ditch the Vette torque tube/tranny and use a tranny out of an F-Body like a Camaro or something instead. The torque tube would put your tranny up near your front wheels and that won't do.

2) You'd have to either make the car front wheel drive (yuck) or use a V-Drive setup. The V-drive would allow you to run a driveshaft alongside the tranny, back under the engine and to the rear diff. This has been done in a couple of replicas but it is a bit complicated and expensive. That is also a lot of stuff to cram in there.

At least that gives you something to think about. It can be done, but it isn't easy.

A good alternative is to use an LS4 set-up out of a front wheel drive Pontiac Grand Prix or similar vehicle. This has been done more frequently. 303HP stock isn't anything to sneeze at.

P.S. Welcome to the forum!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 09:30:51 PM by BigPines »
If I don't have time to do it right, when will I have time to do it over?

MercyLogic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 0
  • Member Rating Points: +2/-0
99 vette trans with ls3
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 09:03:08 PM »
Hello guys, I've been reading the forums for awhile now and there has been some great builds I've seen. I was doing some searching and thought I would add my 2 cents on a v8 with transmission option. Wouldn't it be a great match to have a powerful ls3 v8 with a 99 corvette transaxle? I realize the drive line is long but with some shortening of it, and "maybe" a few inch stretch to the rear end and the rear body, I would say it would be a perfect drivetrain. Please add your input on this suggestion as you guys are good builders, and well I'm a "future" builder thats just saving up the money to build my dream car. By the way, I'm talking about a longitudinal setup. Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 09:06:08 PM by MercyLogic »