Author Topic: Trans shifting problem on Diablo  (Read 2917 times)

jw9800

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 3
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
Re: Trans shifting problem on Diablo
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2013, 11:27:24 AM »
Well for the most part, the shifting seems fixed, but still grinding when you put it into reverse. When I get into the shop I'll have them check the hydraulic clutch. I know it has already been bleed so thats not the case but I think your right it's not disengaging fully. I don't see anyway to adjust that.

eddie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 286
  • Member Rating Points: +19/-2
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2013, 11:03:25 AM »
back in days when I had my 25th, Jim D made me new longer push rod and also we changed the clutch lever where the rod goes to. some are solid metal and some where hollow .   

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2013, 09:09:16 AM »
I'm thinking that you have a hydraulic operated clutch which needs to be bled or a new slave cylinder on the trans or a new clutch master cylinder or a new clutch pressure plate and disk or all of the aforementioned parts.  If you are grinding when shifting into reverse, then the clutch is not disengaging properly.

Jim
20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

jw9800

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, 10:29:07 PM »
No the clutch pedal is not aluminum. Yes, it is a hydraulic shifter. It has a small reservoir under the hood. I may try and get the shifter plate cut or cut it myself.

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 07:03:15 PM »
You have a "hydraulic" shifter? 
20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

jdinner

• Liked: 25
  • Member Rating Points: +6/-0
    • KwikerCars
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 06:44:23 PM »
Also look into the clutch pedal. If it is aluminum there is a ton of problems with that. It should be replaced with a steel pedal assembly.

jw9800

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 04:29:12 PM »
Holy crap! I took the plate off and it shifts 90% better. Still a little sticky but a LOT better. I would have never thought of that in a million years. Thank you very much, you just saved me a ton of money. It was about ready to go into the shop for that and around here, specialty shops are expensive. So where can I get a plate like this one that has more travel?

CCIE

• Liked: 96
  • Member Rating Points: +12/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 03:29:38 PM »
I had the same problem in my Diablo 60. I spent bunch of $$ to get it fixed and some items below was recommended....

Change the slave cylinder with a adjustable high performance cylinder
Change the master cylinder with a high performance cylinder
Issue with the way the clutch is installed
Clutch itself

Well none of this was the issue (at least in my Diablo)
What turned out was the shifter plate (replica Diablo shifter plate) just does not have enough throw space for the shifter to  travel. I removed the plate and I have not had any issues so far. I was told Rodny Dickmen has a kit to modify the old Fiero shifter and the shift gate to work properly. If you have a shifter plate remove it so the shifter stick has enough travel and if not then you might need the other items above.

CCIE

AdrianBurton

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 202
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 01:29:23 PM »
check your clutch pedal, I know that there was an issue with them being bent and not allowing the clutch to fully dis-engage

jw9800

Trans shifting problem on Diablo
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 12:57:09 PM »
Ok, I'm having a big issue with this car I got. It's kind of hard to explain but here it goes. I have a Diablo with a Chevy 350 and a standard 4 speed tranny in it. The engine is mounted sideways and there is a hydraulic system that goes from the gear shifter to the trans. When shifting, a lot of the time it is very hard to shift into gears. Reverse will grind the gears. If you play with the shifter, then you might be able to get int into gear. Other times not. If you turn the car off, it will shift into any gear right away with no problems whatsoever. My thinking is that it's the gearbox selector. I found one reference to that on the web. Any of you guys have any thoughts on that or where to get one that works good?