Author Topic: Tesla model S donor?  (Read 7183 times)

dratts

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 14
  • Member Rating Points: +3/-0
Re: Tesla model S donor?
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2013, 11:12:57 AM »
I don't know how realistic it is at this point, but just take a look at the model S chassis.  I don't know how hard the electrics/electronics part will be, but the chassis is awesome.  I've been for a ride in the roadster and it would give my turbo ls4 Murci a run for the money.  I've been the top bidder on eBay dozens of times without reaching the reserve price.  I think that the roadster is such a breakout technology and so limited in production that it will probably be worth it as a collectable.  The next generation roadster will be even better though and that is what I am basicly proposing to build. With a Lambo body. attached photos are of the model s convertible.
is this actually a realistic project?
 there are plenty of other donors available, and you can even convert the fiero to electric for a couple thousand. I myself If I were to do another project it would prolly be on a mr2. just me..

« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 01:37:59 AM by dratts »

BigPines

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Liked: 272
  • Member Rating Points: +28/-1
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2013, 11:08:07 AM »
Realistic? It is expensive and has some unique challenges but anything is possible. Either way it is fun to talk about.

An electric converted Fiero isn't anything like a Tesla Model S. No offense but isn't that a lot like saying a Pinto had an internal combustion engine so it is just as capable as a Corvette? ;)
If I don't have time to do it right, when will I have time to do it over?

LP640

• MURCI MAFIA
  • Liked: 36
  • Member Rating Points: +5/-0
  • LP640
    • Free Website
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 10:56:21 AM »
is this actually a realistic project?
 there are plenty of other donors available, and you can even convert the fiero to electric for a couple thousand. I myself If I were to do another project it would prolly be on a mr2. just me..
Siteupp.com

dratts

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 10:47:32 AM »
you might be a little bit cynical!  Elon has done some fantastic things.  The only place I don't get him is his desire to go to mars.  It takes 8 months to get there and when you arrive it is not as hospitable as the worst part of our planet.
Not releasing detailed information also forces owners to have the car worked on by Tesla technicians.

SchulzeA

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Liked: 217
  • Member Rating Points: +33/-1
  • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2013, 11:57:17 PM »
Not releasing detailed information also forces owners to have the car worked on by Tesla technicians.

dratts

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 04:51:48 PM »
It looks like a service manual or a wiring diagram are very hard or impossible to get.  For now I'm just going to keep an eye on them.  Mechanically the chassis looks like a real good match, but the electronics might be the deal killer.  It looks like either Tesla doesn't have a good service manual or they're afraid of giving out their secrets.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 10:04:39 AM by dratts »

Tusabes

• Liked: 127
  • Member Rating Points: +8/-2
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 12:01:15 AM »
Sounds like the thing to do is contact a tesla mechanic and ask if there's fewer batteries and room for shortening the box in the 40kw version

BigPines

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 02:08:53 PM »
You may be right about different length battery packs. We are really talking about an 11.6" reduction in length though - basically a foot. I'd be interested to hear anything you find out.

The interior would be problematic too. The Tesla's have a large integrated touchscreen which is crucial to a lot of key functionality in the car. You wouldn't be able to do an OEM interior but as long as you made it look nice, I don't think that is a really big deal. I mean, nobody is going to think it is a real electric Murci anyway. May as well make it it's own and not worry about the OEM look.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 04:45:49 PM by BigPines »

dratts

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 02:03:50 PM »
I've been guessing about the battery pack.  They were originally offered with 40,60, and 85kwh battery packs.  All the same wheelbase and they are offering battery swap capabilities, so I'm guessing that it is a battery compartment that fits three different size batteries.  That leaves me thinking that 10" might be easy to remove, losing the 85kwh battery option.  There is a guy who is putting a strtched VW Vanagon on an S chassis.  I'm going to have a look at how he's doing.

BigPines

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 01:00:53 PM »
Funny you mention this because the thought crossed my mind as well. I think it is a really cool idea but there are some problems. The main one is that the battery is located on the bottom of the vehicle. If the vehicle was shortened, you would likely have to find a way to shorten the battery as well. Those battery packs are not serviceable and if you opened them up, you would find a messy fire suppressant gel to contend with. So, you would probably have to build your own battery pack which could be done but it is no small feat. They basically use lots of notebook/laptop batteries wired together but I'm sure there are some additional electronics there too. No matter how you did it, you would undoubtedly lose some range. It wouldn't be a 500HP beast either. ;) Then again, at over 300HP, the base model is no slouch.

Again, cool idea. I'd love to see someone do it.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 02:00:19 PM by BigPines »

dratts

Tesla model S donor?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 11:26:34 AM »
I'm seeing them listed for salvage already.  Shorten them up 10" and they are nearly a perfect fit.  Wait a while and we can have an all wheel drive by using the model X.  I have an extra G28 interior and I'm thinking of getting another G28 for an electric version.  It would be too much for me though and we all know how hard it is to find a good trustworthy builder.