How To - Tips > Electrical

Alternator shorting out ?

(1/3) > >>

solrac:
Thanks jdinner and digibeam . Just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy lol

jdinner:
That's what he already said Robert. It is going to the battery but it is attached at the starter positive terminal with battery cable....same thing.

Robert:

--- Quote from: solrac on December 28, 2013, 10:46:16 PM ---I am having issues with my electrical system. One bad hung was the wiring that was went to me.
But also I think my alternator is has a short.
Has any one heard of the alternator battery stud have negative current going tru it ?
If I use my test light from battery to the b+ alternator stud my test light lights up.

--- End quote ---
The large
 stud should go to the battery, for charging!

jdinner:

--- Quote from: solrac on December 30, 2013, 09:43:40 AM ---I do have the stock ls4 alternator. It shorts out fuse box when  I connect the b+ terminal to battery wire. The way fieroking made me the harness is a big red wire from alternator to starter then to battery. On the battery connector there is also another big red wire that goes to fuse box. So when it is all connected together besides to battery it shows some of the fuses to have ground current.

I belive that I do have a one wire exciter. I have the one big wire that goes to starter then battery. And on the pigtail of the alternator there is only one wire. I am not quite sure what it connects to tho. 

--- End quote ---

The one wire from the pigtail should be connected to a light bulb in the dash. The circuit will look like this;
Fuse panel 12V+ Ignition ----> bulb ----> alternator.

Are you saying you have a testlight lighting up some of the fuses when the alternator is connected and battery is not in the system?
Yes? That's normal.
Connect the battery to the system and this condition will disappear. Items in the fuse panel that are connected to motors, bulbs or other loads will always appear to be going to ground when tested like that.
The wiring you described from Fieroking sounds correct.

solrac:
I do have the stock ls4 alternator. It shorts out fuse box when  I connect the b+ terminal to battery wire. The way fieroking made me the harness is a big red wire from alternator to starter then to battery. On the battery connector there is also another big red wire that goes to fuse box. So when it is all connected together besides to battery it shows some of the fuses to have ground current.

I belive that I do have a one wire exciter. I have the one big wire that goes to starter then battery. And on the pigtail of the alternator there is only one wire. I am not quite sure what it connects to tho. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version