Author Topic: Tesla model S donor?  (Read 7177 times)

Digibeam

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 257
  • Member Rating Points: +12/-0
  • Show me, don't Tell me...
Re: Tesla model S donor?
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2014, 12:06:43 AM »
hmmm thats interesting,  we use the same type of battery format with our solar panels and Led lighting systems.
its based on the early Edison battery,  you can make them in your kitchen and everything is bio-degradable.

dratts

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 14
  • Member Rating Points: +3/-0
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2014, 10:39:18 PM »
found some pictures of the inside.  See why I'm leery of cutting one open?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 10:46:40 PM by dratts »

Digibeam

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2014, 06:34:07 PM »
what about designing something around what they have... which was all laptop batteries if i recall...  and build to suit?

dratts

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2014, 05:09:40 PM »
 the strut height and the wheelbase are the two mechanical issues that I see.  I would imagine that the strut thing can be solved.  The wheelbase involves the battery and I still haven't been able to find  detailed  information on the insides of that battery.  I was thinking of an Aventador body which would require a battery that is 10" shorter.  They come in 40kw, 60kw, and 85kw.  All in the same battery compartment.  I believe that they use coolant so that would mean fluid inside.  The other thing to do would be to put a body on it that matches the wheel base.  Or better yet get one of the guys who designs and builds bodies to do one for a stock model s.  I guess that I still like to build one even if it's just in my head.  That skateboard chassis just looks like a clean slate for a body designer.  So far though the salvage ones are going for about $35,000 or I'd still be onboard.

Digibeam

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2014, 02:58:29 PM »
Do those rear struts really sit that high?  i know they would drop with the body etc. but wow they are really tall...

dratts

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2014, 01:55:28 PM »
What looks like two drive motors in the model s is actually only one.  The one on the passenger side is an inverter.  I'm pretty much out of the salvage tesla buying mode, but if I were to go that way it wouldn't have a cover over the motor and it would have the tesla interior to avoid electrical problems.  My ls4 Murci doesn't have an engine cover over it either.  I don't apologize to anyone for having a turbo ls4 in my replica.

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2014, 10:59:50 AM »
How are you going to hide those drive motors in the rear?
20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

dratts

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2014, 09:58:41 PM »
This one looked like it was in a roll over.  Not much left to part out for $ either except for the interior.  The salvaged ones seem to be going for sale in the $30,000 range.  I would have to get a mechanically sound one for a lot less to make it work for me.  The guy who is putting one under a stretched vanagon paid close to $40,000 for his salvage model s.  Oh well,  I had fun rolling the concept around my head for a while.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 10:03:06 PM by dratts »

Tusabes

• Liked: 127
  • Member Rating Points: +8/-2
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2014, 09:55:06 PM »
You need to get one that was in a rollover

dratts

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2014, 09:51:14 PM »
My first bid on a salvage model s failed.  I bid $10,000 and was outbid by $3,000.  I think that I might have been lucky.  It had obvious front suspension damage.  At the very least a broken tie rod.  The battery pack might have been damaged too because it was listed as biohazard.  Battery thing is huge.  I'm going to wait for the next gen roadster.  It will be built on a version of the model s chassis and they expect it to be way less expensive than the current roadster.  Probably for a lot less than I could build an electric Aventador and anyway I already have my Murci.

dratts

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2014, 07:10:56 PM »
model s chassis.   See why I want one under a murci body?  Shorten it ten inches and add 1/2" spacers for the front track then bolt the body on.  (sorta, I have a G28 roadster and I know that there's a lot more to it), but what an awesome rolling chassis/drivetrain.

My first attempt to attach a picture and I thought that it didn't work, but then I logged in and there it was.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 01:24:15 AM by dratts »

Graeme Stebbing

• Liked: 30
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2014, 12:32:51 AM »
lp640, it looks like progress is being made to sort the Fiero handling issues, these guys seem to know what they are about.
http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/117227-2.html

BigPines

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Liked: 272
  • Member Rating Points: +28/-1
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2013, 07:25:12 PM »
Lambos aren't to drive? ::scratch

Mine will be. :D
If I don't have time to do it right, when will I have time to do it over?

LP640

• MURCI MAFIA
  • Liked: 36
  • Member Rating Points: +5/-0
  • LP640
    • Free Website
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2013, 12:09:00 PM »
Model S are to drive guys lol
I was behind one yesterday in LA and I never got to realize what a beautiful car it is, nice lines, low to the ground,very sporty , very nice car. Wouldnt take it over a fisker tho ;)
Siteupp.com

SchulzeA

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Liked: 217
  • Member Rating Points: +33/-1
  • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2013, 11:51:46 AM »
you might be a little bit cynical!  Elon has done some fantastic things.  The only place I don't get him is his desire to go to mars.  It takes 8 months to get there and when you arrive it is not as hospitable as the worst part of our planet.
Not releasing detailed information also forces owners to have the car worked on by Tesla technicians.
Well, men are from Mars. Personally I'd rather go to Venus where the women are! :)