Author Topic: Shifter/shifter cable question  (Read 2847 times)

RT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 308
  • Member Rating Points: +28/-0
Re: Shifter/shifter cable question
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 01:49:49 PM »
Just take it one step at a time.
Disconnect the cable at both ends.
Check to see if the shifting is stiff at the shifter.
If it is not stiff at the shifter, check the shifting at the trans.
If it is not stiff at the trans, check the slide of the cable BUT you must check the slide of the cable with all the same bends in the housing as if it was connected.
I suspect the stiffness might be because of too sharp bends in the housing.  That could cause excess drag through the housing.  Keep the bends as wide and smooth as you can.
Don't oil the cable in the housing.  The oil can collect dirt and make it drag after time.  Use a graphite powder to lube the cable if necessary.
Adjusting the nuts is only to fine-tune the slack out of the cable and adjust to the position of the arms on the shifter and at the transaxle.

RT
It isn't enough to want a Lambo, you have to want to BUILD A CAR.

AsantiLP

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 14
  • Member Rating Points: +2/-0
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 01:30:15 PM »
When i said they are not tight this is what i meant.Cables are in place and mounted the part that is not tight is part of the cable that goes thr thru the firewall and thats because maybe i should have ordered cables that were longer by 6inches instead of 11....so cable ends are in place and they are mounted in the metal brackets both where shifter is and engine so from those mounting points to ends they are good and tight but the cables are just longer so they are not tight from firewall to engine ..i hope you know what i mean...so that being said should i just play with those nuts and try to adjust it?im pretty sure cables are connected correctly but it wont shift and its stiff...thanks for your help guys i really appreciate it
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 01:32:10 PM by AsantiLP »

eddie

• Liked: 286
  • Member Rating Points: +19/-2
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 11:16:40 AM »
I think they fit only one way .each cable has his different end
But the longest cables are out off Issuzu 5 speed

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 09:24:35 AM »
1)Did you replace the cables one at a time?
2)Pictures would help.
3)My educated guess would be that you have the cables switched on the transmission ends.  Like RT said "get someone to move the shifter see if the corresponding lever moves on the trans".  Select Cable: (Left and Right sideways on the shifter) should move the shift shaft in and out.  Shift Cable: (forward and rearward on the shifter) should rotate the shifter shaft.

Jim
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 09:58:21 AM by 01Lambiero »
20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

RT

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 06:29:21 AM »
My fiero was stretched 10.5in and I ordered custom stretched shifter cables from west coast fiero..they are installed and they do seem a bit too long but when put in place they should function even tho they are not tight from shifter to the back...the problem is car doesn't want to go in reverse and first gear now...i do see some nuts on cables that seem like adjusters on the shifter side and back side so do these need to be played with and adjusted?I appreciate anyone that can help me with this...thanks in advance

When you said "even tho they are not tight from shifter to the back" that tells me something is loose.  That something sounds to me to be the ends of the cable housing are not tight.  They have to be without play or they will move when you shift.  If they move, the shifting cable is NOT moving as it should and could be the reason it is not getting into gear.  The inner cable SHOULD move far enough to shift properly if all else is the same.
Just lengthening the chassis and putting in longer cables should not make anything else different.
As another thought, tightening the ends is necessary BUT the mount you are tightening it to must be solid too.  Have someone shift it for you and watch the cable and housing for any excess movement.  it should only be the inner cable moving.
RT

AsantiLP

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 12:46:23 AM »
I am using fiero 4 speed manual transmission..cables are in housing already in the back and front where the shifter is but it doesn't want to go in reverse or first at all...so you are saying I just adjust the nuts on the cables since its fiero transmission?

RT

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 12:04:11 AM »
The basic installation of cables for shifting requires the cable housing MUST be securely fastened at both ends.  Make sure there are no sharp bends in the housing.  The ends of the sliding inner cable must be attached to the shifter at one end and at the trans at the other.  The adjusting takes place on the ends of the housing with the nuts you described. Adjust to take out any play you have.
If the distance shifter moves does not move the arm on the transaxle far enough (or too far) to put the transaxle in gear, you will have to compensate by making the arm either shorter or longer on either the shifter or transaxle shift arm.
Find out how far the arm must move to place the transaxle in gear by removing the cable and shifting by hand, then note how far it needs to move.  That rotation will have to be complete to be sure you are in gear.  Make sure the cable will move it that far.  That applies to the second cable that moves the shaft in and out.
Go step by step and you will get it all to work.
If you are using a Fiero transaxle, you should not have to rework anything.  Just adjust the slack out of the cable housing.
RT
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 12:08:16 AM by RT »

AsantiLP

Shifter/shifter cable question
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 11:40:22 PM »
My fiero was stretched 10.5in and I ordered custom stretched shifter cables from west coast fiero..they are installed and they do seem a bit too long but when put in place they should function even tho they are not tight from shifter to the back...the problem is car doesn't want to go in reverse and first gear now...i do see some nuts on cables that seem like adjusters on the shifter side and back side so do these need to be played with and adjusted?I appreciate anyone that can help me with this...thanks in advance