Author Topic: The Most Accurate Diablo VT Kit  (Read 9919 times)

BigPines

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Liked: 272
  • Member Rating Points: +28/-1
Re: The Most Accurate Diablo VT Kit
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2014, 08:54:15 PM »
FYI, Car Kit Inc. is claiming their Diablo (Dee-Low) is a copy of the D & R kit. Not bad for $3K.

"We offer the famed 'D. & R. Version' Replica Dee-Low body-kit which is the best Dee-Low version in the world, this is also called the V.T. Roadster version"

Isn't it the ONLY "Dee-Low" version in the world? ;)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 08:56:41 PM by BigPines »
If I don't have time to do it right, when will I have time to do it over?

Tusabes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 127
  • Member Rating Points: +8/-2
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2014, 03:46:53 PM »
The diablo bodies all look much better than the cheaply made murci bodies from Cki and rob

BigPines

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2014, 03:38:22 PM »
Thanks rodrieguz! This is extremely valuable info.

rodrieguz

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Liked: 77
  • Member Rating Points: +3/-0
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2014, 03:17:47 PM »
Orange roadster was a copy of a first generation D n R
Coupe I have is a crp, hands down best kit I've worked on.
I'll see about getting some pics together this  weekend of the different bodies

BigPines

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2014, 02:56:42 PM »
Rodrieguz, I checked out your gallery on Kit Central. Nice car. I like the color. What body did you use? If possible, I'd like to get some pictures posted here of examples of the different bodies / kits.

rodrieguz

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2014, 02:09:18 PM »
All Diablo bodies were based on the 1991 diablo so parts are interchangeable from model to model.
Steve curtis still produces kits.
Naerc kits can be bought by contacting Ron Dolling, ronstoystore.
As far as accuracy naerc kits are right there with only subtle differences.

BigPines

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2014, 01:21:19 PM »
Thanks Rodrieguz. This is exactly the type of info I was hoping to get here. You seem to be very knowledgeable about this stuff. Is CRP / Steve Curtis still selling kits?

76mx, are you selling kits from Cliff's molds are did you acquire them for personal use only?

Were there any other OEM spec bodies? Was NAERC's OEM as well?

Oh, and just for the sake of preserving the facts, if CRM/Cliff's molds were based on a 1991 Diablo, they were not a VT model (which was introduced in 1993) so they have different front and side air intakes. That is perfectly fine, I am just trying to keep everything straight (mostly for myself).
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 01:27:23 PM by BigPines »

rodrieguz

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2014, 01:00:12 PM »
Crp Replica diablo body was pulled from a 1991 diablo.
Cliffs body was pulled from a crp coupe body, both are oem specs

BigPines

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2014, 11:36:01 AM »
Cliffs oem body was splashed from a crp body.
So are you saying the CRP body was also OEM or are you saying Cliff's body is not OEM spec?

camarogod98

• Liked: 15
  • Member Rating Points: +2/-0
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2014, 11:13:43 AM »
Most accurate Diablo replica was crp, aka Steve Curtis, next would be the naerc bodies however getting either will still set you back 10-15 g's.
The DnR body was great for the quality and parts that came with.  Tom @ total performance is still building kits.  Cliffs oem body was splashed from a crp body.
When looking for a kit I would shy away from the cheaper versions out there.  The devil is in the details, make sure oem glass or aftermarket glass is available.   Areas to look for accuracy IMO, door  jambs, windshield area, front and rear bumpers, quarter window pocket, tailight Bezel area.  Correct roof rack (d n r cars do not have the correct windshield angke)

How much does the windsheild angle differ from the original car? any idea why its different?

camarogod98

• Liked: 15
  • Member Rating Points: +2/-0
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2014, 11:10:30 AM »
I am getting ready to sell my modified C6 Z06 corvette so i can start building a diablo 6.0. The main features of this build will be a twin turbo charged 427 LS1 engine, with a griffin or mendeola transaxle, C6 Z06 brakes and billet machined 6.0 wheels. I have a full cnc machine shop and will be making an insane amount of billet and carbon parts for this car.

The CRP body kit looks very nice but Curtis wants 18K for it plus shipping...from what i remember another 2.5K to build the doors. It the end it might be worth it since his parts look so nice and much of the body work is done. Curis makes all his stuff with epoxy for no shrink.

The guy that bought out DNR is selling a body kit too. I think the complete kit is 12.5K with interior and he quoted me at 16.5K total for body installed on my soon to be built tube chassis.

Do you guys have any contact info on the NAERC guy out of canada that is  still making the bodies? Or anyone else that makes a nice body? Cant wait to get started on this project!!! So excited
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 11:12:36 AM by camarogod98@hotmail.com »

rodrieguz

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2014, 09:14:14 AM »
Most accurate Diablo replica was crp, aka Steve Curtis, next would be the naerc bodies however getting either will still set you back 10-15 g's.
The DnR body was great for the quality and parts that came with.  Tom @ total performance is still building kits.  Cliffs oem body was splashed from a crp body.
When looking for a kit I would shy away from the cheaper versions out there.  The devil is in the details, make sure oem glass or aftermarket glass is available.   Areas to look for accuracy IMO, door  jambs, windshield area, front and rear bumpers, quarter window pocket, tailight Bezel area.  Correct roof rack (d n r cars do not have the correct windshield angke)

Digibeam

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 257
  • Member Rating Points: +12/-0
  • Show me, don't Tell me...
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 11:44:18 PM »
the NAERC body and kits are still floating around on the west coast in Canada, the guy building them Ron, does a nice job...he lives a few blocks away from me, presently working on a countach build, but makes them very nice and "over" expensive for what they are, but he has all the parts still and full access the original moulds that Lamborghini had court orders for destruction...
but i guess there was more than one set floating about.....  ;)
i would have to say after seeing the finished product and almost buying the "Raw" product, they are a gift to anyone who wants to put a car together without having to worry about making the body fit the way it should in the first place... beautiful bodys for sure.

76mx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 358
  • Member Rating Points: +16/-0
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 11:33:49 PM »
I'm not planning to build a Diablo right now but I am very interested in them and would like to know something about the kits that are / have been available. I see a lot of these kits for sale and it may come in handy someday to know something about them.

What kits are currently available and what kits were the most accurate? Were any of the kits splashed from an OEM body? They had to be, right? Anything to watch out for as far as something to stay away from? What is the easiest way to tell one kit from another?

I understand the NAERC body was very accurate (OEM splash?). I heard Cliff had an OEM splash. Total Performance / D&R was supposed to be an accurate kit. What else should I know?

Cliff did have OEM Diablo molds. I own those molds now.

BigPines

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 09:33:10 PM »
Tony, thanks for chiming in. Your car is beautiful. DnR is definitely a good one!