How To - Tips > Heating and Cooling

over heating

<< < (2/8) > >>

cmarens:
I had a cavalier with a bad head gasket. No smoke, no oil in coolant, pressurised system to 15psi and held pressure. The head gasket was just starting to go bad. Only under the high pressure of combustion, would it leak. I saw air bubbles entering the over flow bottle at 2000 rpm.
[/quote]

There is a simple symptom that one would see if there were a leak in the system. Aside from white smoke or the FML Fairy visiting you in your dreams to tell you exactly what she did - 99% of the time there is fluid where that particular type of fluid does not belong. Simple yeah? Now, try to find it. Could be water getting into the tranny lines on an A/T which would cause drop in pressure and room for air, could be, as was previously said, foam or white-ish sludge in the oil (this can also be from short trips where the car does not get to operating temp and stay there for very long, ie. "Been working fine running around town on short trips..."), it could be a small hairline crack in the block that goes from a cylinder to a water jacket.

Here is the 1% of the time example of when this is not happening. When I was a teenager I had an '87 SS Monte Carlo. It started to have temp issues. I could not see a leak. I drained all of the fluids and did not find a drop of cross-contamination anywhere. Eventually it would start to get hot and I could see steam coming from somewhere but could not find it. After new hoses, fan, radiator, eventually I pulled it into the garage and started to tear it down for head replacement. As I was taking the carb off I hit something with my ratchet on the back side of the intake. There was a T there that fed water into the intake on that SOB. I have never ever seen that set up before in my life, nor had my stepfather who has been monkeying with cars for a long long time. As I knew that it was not needed on any other vehicle I had ever seen in my life, I put a normal straight splice in the hose, tapped the hole in the intake and put a bolt in there with lock-tite on it. I never had another problem with that car again.

Sorry for the novel. I know this really doesn't give you a straight answer to the issue, BUT I wanted to point out that while there is a usual suspect in these cases, there is the '87 Monte Carlo water into the intake for some backward reason to consider. It could be a 5 cent fix is what I am getting at. Could be something small and insignificant, I would dig around in there before pulling the wallet out for anything major. Another pair of eyes on it may help too. Keep poking and you will find it eventually.

Digibeam:
Gotta love the anomalies , I remember once dealing with a car that the battery kept dying new or old,  ends up the upper rad hose was the culprit ...   The spring inside the hose grounded as well positive static in the fluid caused a dielectric situation that shorted the body ground.  It was all very exciting...
But at the same time these situations are kinda not fun when you have zero evidence to support general theories ..   ::K

Robert:

--- Quote from: Digibeam on May 08, 2014, 09:31:51 PM ---Usually he would find that interesting froth of oil mix in the rad water or an unusual amount of white smoke from the exhaust with the head gasket wouldn't he? 
Maybe more if it was a cracked head I guess.... Anyways... Carry on.   ::K

--- End quote ---
I had a cavalier with a bad head gasket. No smoke, no oil in coolant, pressurised system to 15psi and held pressure. The head gasket was just starting to go bad. Only under the high pressure of combustion, would it leak. I saw air bubbles entering the over flow bottle at 2000 rpm.

CCIE:

--- Quote from: Digibeam on May 09, 2014, 12:16:46 PM ---
--- Quote from: timmer on May 09, 2014, 09:52:23 AM ---so one fan pushing the air while the other fan was pulling the air would not be a good idea?

--- End quote ---

No, you cause rarefaction  from positive and negative pulsing due to the blades being out of sync as well no shroud.... 
If you must use a front fan it should be as an inlet to pressurize a chamber in front of the radiator that is then drawn through the rad by the fan in the rear of it.

So, use a remote fan to draw cool air in from outside, pressurize the inner front trunk area, then draw that through the rad.
Not that this is about over heating but just informational about a fan sandwich = bad idea

--- End quote ---

"fan sandwich"..... Hmmmmm....... I personally prefer a turkey sandwich with feta cheese on rye bread.... with a slice of kosher extra crispy pickle.....

But Digi is correct "fan sandwich = bad idea"  ::bounce

Digibeam:

--- Quote from: timmer on May 09, 2014, 09:52:23 AM ---so one fan pushing the air while the other fan was pulling the air would not be a good idea?

--- End quote ---

No, you cause rarefaction  from positive and negative pulsing due to the blades being out of sync as well no shroud.... 
If you must use a front fan it should be as an inlet to pressurize a chamber in front of the radiator that is then drawn through the rad by the fan in the rear of it.

So, use a remote fan to draw cool air in from outside, pressurize the inner front trunk area, then draw that through the rad.
Not that this is about over heating but just informational about a fan sandwich = bad idea

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version