Author Topic: BMW V-12 to a G-50  (Read 3297 times)

Linlor

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 28
  • Member Rating Points: +5/-0
Re: BMW V-12 to a G-50
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2014, 12:22:42 PM »
aeauto is correct.  I already have the G-50 in the car with axles made and shifter hooked up.  Although the shifter will need some work as it is a dog's breakfast in my opinion....

I got the project with a built up SBC and G-50 already done.  The previous owner, however, let the car sit out under a tarp for a few years before I go t it to the engine will need a refresh as the cylinder heads are rusty (but the cylinders look good) and I would want to pull the bottom out and check bearings etc. to make sure everything is good.  Since I need to do that, I thought I might as well get the ultimate engine for the build in my opinion.  A V12.  I found one over in Vancouver that I got for a very good price so now I am confirming what I need to switch out to mate the V12 to the trans.
Everything I have seen and heard from folks I have talked to says I just need an adapter plate and a new flywheel since all the rest are Porsche specific and can be reused.  I am going to work with aeauto to get a new plate and flywheel for the build.

Thanks for all the feedback and help folks.
Cheers
Don

aeauto

• Liked: 33
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2014, 12:08:14 AM »
I think Linlor already has the G50 and wants to continue using it.  He is swapping from the 350 V8 to the V12.

bierhanzel

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Liked: 100
  • Member Rating Points: +7/-0
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2014, 12:04:34 AM »
Why you do not with 6speed audi tranny? Its cheaper...

Linlor

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 05:58:21 PM »
RUNDLC;

I agree with you on what to do.  I was just trying to confirm or at least get a better idea of what I need to ask for when talking to makers of the adapters.  flyhilandsoft (John) had sent me the CMS number already and I planned on calling to get details.  I just wanted more details from the experts here before calling around to ask for costs. (So I have some prior knowledge of what I would need)  I have only done the transverse engine swaps previously in my projects so this is a new one for me.

Thanks all for the info.
Don

RUNDLC

• Liked: 5
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 05:31:23 PM »
Why waste your time, just call California Motorsports in Arizona and buy the g50 to bmw adapter plate setup, if you have an early g50 the adaper setup is 795.00, late model g50 and the setup is like 995.00 use your own starter,  clutch & plate.

Linlor

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 05:22:06 PM »
Thanks Eric;

I was thinking I could but I don't know enough of the conversions to confirm.

I pm'd you with a couple questions.

Thanks
Don

aeauto

• Liked: 33
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 04:07:42 PM »
You will need a new plate and flywheel.  I did one for a V12 to a 915.  You can reuse the clutch and slave cylinder.

Linlor

BMW V-12 to a G-50
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 03:55:31 PM »
I did a search on here and other places for the BMW V-12 to a G-50 and I have a couple questions as I could not find the answers I was looking for.  I already have a Chev V-8 (SBC I think) mated to the G-50 with flywheel and clutch etc already done.  I pulled the trigger on the BMW V-12 as I just couldn't not do a V-12 in my Countach build...... :P.  My questions are around the parts I can use from the adapter setup I already have.

• I know a new adapter plate and flywheel will be needed since the V-12 will be different from V-8.
  • Can I use the existing clutch setup?  I assume the clutch and clutch plate will be made to fit into the G-50 so those should still be valid to re-use?
  • Also the clutch slave cylinder setup would be against the G-50 so theoretically they could still be used unless there ends up being some interference?

The expensive part of the setup seems to be the clutch and slave setups so if I can reuse those, I am in great shape.

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks
Don