How To - Tips > Hood - Engine Covers

Pic of the rear deck lid open.

<< < (2/3) > >>

LamboJayso:
I would imagine you can even use these velcro straps to mount interior pieces as well like the door panels, dash, center console, and it will make it easily accessible to work on anything underneath the panels.

No Bull:

--- Quote from: LamboJayso on August 18, 2012, 09:03:00 AM ---No Bull, post some pics of the velcro straps you're talking about.

--- End quote ---

Here is a link to the stuff that I have (or similar to it). 

http://www.industrialwebbing.com/Industrial_hook.html

I like IKR's idea also of having the front bracket hook around the tube from the underside and use a bolt (or quick release pin) to secure it in the front.

Chris

italianknightrider:
make 4 u shape brackets that will fit over the same size round tubing ,weld the u shape brackets side ways ,open end facing the back glass ,put one mount plate an bolt dead center of the rear trunk an when you open the engine cover ,the bolt is right there under the front of the rear trunk, remove it an slide the trunk panel cover backwards an off the car .... or do this

LamboJayso:
No Bull, post some pics of the velcro straps you're talking about.

No Bull:
Don't laugh  ::tongue but I've thought about using industrial Velcro straps that would loop through metal slots on bracing underneath yet leave it easy to detach (no tools) when access is required.  I have Velcro in the shop that has a sheer strength of around 300Lbs.  When Velcro is looped through something, it's the sheer strength vs. the pull strength that is important.  The difference is that you're pulling on the length of the material which involves many more latch and hook sections and not just a few sections when you lift directly up.  If you borrowed a part of Jdinners design, you could build two fingers on the trailing end of the panel (closest to the bumper) and these could be rest inside a pair of brackets (use rubber grommets to reduce an rattling) which would hold the panel in position so it won't lift up from the rear.  With the engine cover lifted up you would have access to secure the Velcro loops on the leading edge.  Removal would be as simple as lifting the engine cover, undoing the two straps and lifting it rearward and off the car.  If two straps are used, it would take over 600Lbs of lift on the panel to rip the straps away and since the wind coming over the car will be pushing down on this panel, I don't see any concerns with safety and personally I think the fiberglass would give before the straps would give way.   ::) 

Chris

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version