Misc. Tech Drawings / Manuals > New Ideas / Concepts

USING 3D-MODELS FROM VIDEO GAMES ETC. TO PRODUCE KITS

<< < (3/4) > >>

BigPines:
I would also like to mention that I believe it would be best if a body manufacturer made sure OEM grills fit. It is the same concept as the glass. It could be done in the 3D model stage or in the plug stage. Anytime prior to producing the body panels is fine.

BigPines:
INSPIRE, I'll let you have the last word in the other thread since that seems to be what you want. In case you don't understand proper forum etiquette, it is inappropriate to continue the off-topic conversation in that thread especially after it has been pointed out and a new thread created for the actual topic being discussed.

I honestly don't understand something. Why is it easy for each of your customers to figure out what glass fits your body separately but it isn't easy for you?

I am not exposing you or anyone else. I was trying to be polite and hoping you would figure out the glass on your kit so it would work out for you and your customers. However, since you don't seem to have any interest in figuring out the glass issue and you continue to try to push my buttons for no reason, I am no longer going to hold my tongue about the flaws with your body (unknown availability of glass is only one of them).

I don't feel the need to prove to you or anyone else what my experience or capabilities are. That is irrelevant to the conversation. I am either right or I am wrong. Why do you resort to changing the subject and attacking me? Last time this happened to me, it was RobsLP640. Although I have no reason to doubt your honesty, your behavior has something in common with his and that isn't great.

There are people on this forum who know what I am up to. They know exactly what my capabilities are and they have seen my work. This is on a need to know basis. Sorry, but participating in a pissing contest with you does not qualify as need to know.

BigPines:
Robert, you bring up a good point. Although I prefer some kind of off-the-shelf glass, custom glass is a totally acceptable solution. Again, it should be considered from the beginning. I believe in this case, the manufacturer of the body should also manufacture the glass to take advantage of the economies of scale. It doesn't make sense for each individual builder to have to arrange to have custom glass made.

INSPIREcomposite (BANNED):
actually, most 3D models are accurate enough to use oem windshields without any alterations. Mine most likely does fit oem but i havent tried it so i cant say it does because im an honest person. and i dont say things that i dont intend on doing either.

However, producing a body from scratch is a ton of work, especially when its your first time doing fiberglass, most people quit. and going out to the junkyard and trying to figure out which glass could possibly work and add the extra effort to make it fit the plug is extra work that can be done on the customers side, which is perfectly reasonable and which ameer himself has explained hes done.

Robert:

--- Quote from: BigPines on October 04, 2014, 09:34:32 PM ---Thanks am33r. In my opinion, either A or B are the correct way to do this. The glass should not be an afterthought as is sometimes the case. Why not take the time to tweak the model from the beginning to accept specific glass? As discussed, this is extra work for the manufacturer but avoids so much more work down the road for all the consumers. There is a saying in this industry - Fix a mold once or fix a part a thousand times.

The problem with C is, we are HOPING someone can find some appropriate glass which will work. What if no off-the-shelf glass fits the body we have produced? For instance, the Aventador has a very large windshield. It may be difficult to find glass which will fit. One may have to modify the fiberglass to allow for a different size of windshield. Sure that could also be done but it may look funky and why mess with it?

I should mention that I'm not just talking about making sure an OEM Lamborghini window fits. I am talking about ANY glass from ANY manufacturer. SOMETHING has to be able to fit and that should be part of the design even if it requires modification as in the case of the Maxima windshield. That is the real point.

The G28 had a solution for glass from the beginning. The fact that some producers of bodies have no idea what glass will fit their creations is a red flag to me. I would personally not purchase a body if the manufacturer could not tell me what glass they designed it for or what glass they have proved to work in that particular application.

Maybe I am just crazy.

Oh, and BTW...I like carbon fiber too and that happens to get under some people's skin! ;)

--- End quote ---
lamboreplica uses Nissian  windshield in one of their products, though they are have door glass custom made!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version