How To - Tips > Frame

Pros & Cons between using a Fiero or MR2 for an OEM Murci Build?

(1/3) > >>

01Lambiero:
Keep in mind that pieces of the puzzle are just pieces.  Sub structures when all welded together make the whole.  Just what constitutes the "whole" is in the design of the builder.  How many gussets and how many braces are enough?  I have seen replica chassis' that were welded with a stick welder.  If I took the time to cut out a replica chassis, I certainly wouldn't be welding it with a stick welder when a mig would do a better job. (IMO)  Some self-proclaimed professional builders actually use pop rivets, sheet metal screws, and nuts & bolts to make major attachments.  You can't see what's underneath once the body is on.  You will be puting your life and those who ride with you out on a thin string of security.  If I were going to lay down heavy cash in a purchase, I would have to see how the build went together.  Build it like it's going to be your wife's main grocery getter.  (you do love your wife, don't you)  ::bounce ::angel ::thumbup   Jim

italianknightrider:

dratts:
In my experience you also need to add reinforcement in the rocker area to help avoid the "folding body" if you have a roadster.  V8 Archie does an awesome frame reinforcement on his roadsters.  I like my Fiero base too!

01Lambiero:
Weaky floor pan and cabin on a Fiero??  Depends on the builder.  Most that I know and have seen have installed an "X" brace under the center of the floorpan.  This X brace is then welded to the to the floorpan and to the Main side tubing that runs the full length of the rockers.  Mine is bolted at the front in place of the connecter tubing that goes from the right to the left side of the floor pan at the front just behind the front cross member.  The X brace is also connected to and welded at the front of the rockers.  The entire cabin is surrounded by rectangular tubing; at the top of the firewall to the sides and down to the rocker tubing up to the front and up to the windshield support and hinge support and across the front under the windshield.  It is up to the builder how much engineering and strength goes into the Fiero cabin/floorpan area.  Each of us has a budget that we seem to overrun in the end.  OEM parts are very nice as well as a custom chassis.  I attended the Carlisle Show and I have seen some junk and I have seen some very high quality.  The end result is in the skills of the builder.  I like my Fiero.  Jim

Tallon:
Yeah the front hood is longer, body was made basically to fit the donor and maxima windshield, I don't know too much how it fits the donor since I made a tube chassis though. but I assume stretching the cabin would only move the rear firewall back further and that is what the rear window sits on, which is already far back the way it is. Behind the roof panel rather than in front like oem.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version