Author Topic: Is it possible to use a transfer case???  (Read 7409 times)

ActiveLife

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 1
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
Re: Is it possible to use a transfer case???
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2016, 01:08:07 PM »
Schulez,
I agree with the torque spec of that gearbox being a major contributing factor of its strength.  At first sight my initial concerns would be that it appears to have three gears rather than two, posing a conflict with drive shaft rotation requirements, along with the operating RPM that the box/bearings are designed to operate within.  Never the less, it does look simplistic and stout and is a great basis for a design.

I suppose we are confronted with two variables and how heavily we weigh each within their own respect.

A: Cost.  If reliable high horse power ratings are the goal, an R8 gearbox can be sourced currently in the $9k - $11k range or a Mendeola around the $12k mark along with other options from Porsche, so this would be a margin to cap this project off from as the transaxle approach is clearly more reasonable.

B: Design.  If the intellectual value of achievement in conquering this design holds more weight than the cost of any related components, then by any realistic means this proposed layout is choice.

Your thoughts?

-Active

tonypaul

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 54
  • Member Rating Points: +7/-0
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2016, 09:25:58 PM »
just imagine the possiblities of this setup in a kit car-

SchulzeA

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Liked: 217
  • Member Rating Points: +33/-1
  • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2016, 02:42:23 AM »
This may be a viable solution to the V drive. I just ran across these looking for something else and haven't researched it yet.
http://www.kramp.com/shop-ch/en/365054/499933/0/Comer+gearboxes+A-16A+1%3A1

Those are only rated for 85hp, maybe ok if your using a Fiero Iron Duke motor.

The 85hp rating is a bit misleading. The gearbox is designed to be pto driven by a 85hp tractor. The actual pto torque would be over 600 ft lb's.

tonypaul

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2016, 10:22:07 PM »
This may be a viable solution to the V drive. I just ran across these looking for something else and haven't researched it yet.

Those are only rated for 85hp, maybe ok if your using a Fiero Iron Duke motor.

SchulzeA

• Global Moderator
  • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2016, 04:57:35 PM »

76mx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 358
  • Member Rating Points: +16/-0
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2016, 03:47:14 PM »
Active, check the Motion Industries Catalog for design info on timing belts. The number of teeth in the belt mesh is more important than belt width and tooth pitch when calculating this. For instance, the same belt will handle much more HP around two pulleys of the same size which puts 50% of the teeth in the mesh than it will wrapped around three pulleys forming a triangle which puts less teeth engaging on all pulleys. 

tonypaul

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2016, 03:19:41 PM »
My project I wont say was a total failure, I could have got it to work. But the cost/time that it was going to take just wasnt worth it to me. I looked into the V-drives, they were either too expensive or too big for the space I had using the streched fiero frame.

I dont regret doing the turbo LS4 at all, the transmission was a pretty big investment but its been extremely reliable at 500-550hp. If someone has the skillset and machining equiptment or know someone who does it would be a great project. I would like to see someone try a V-drive setup and really drive it like a real preformance car...

ActiveLife

• Liked: 1
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2016, 02:44:41 PM »
TonyPaul,
As I understand, the V-Drive setup is popular in the Trophy Truck desert racing industry when the mid-engine is desired... granted they have more room to play with than what these vehicles would have.  Those pictures you've posted look like you indeed gave it a great shot, I wonder if a slight change in design would have offered different results.  Regardless, I've seen a picture and brief description of your current setup, maybe we can discuss more about what is proven to work for you in a different thread or through PM?

76mx,
I like the "out of the box" thinking with regards to going into a belt drive set up, I'm sure I can engineer something that would prove the Gilmer belt plausible... and a good option for noise reduction, cool idea!

-Active

tonypaul

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2016, 02:06:44 PM »
found some pics-

tonypaul

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2016, 02:02:04 PM »
I tried doing this concept, first with a 2jz motor then a LS motor via a th425 trans with the diff removed and I tried serveral front 4x4 diff to get it to work. My plan was to do a reverse rotation install with the drivetrain. I did a post about this along time ago here but all the pics are now gone. I will try to see if I can find some on my home computer.

But in the end it was just going to require too many untested custom parts to be machined. I ended up just doing a turbo LS4 and its been great for 3+ years now..

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2016, 10:34:32 PM »
Wow! Good job, Alan.  That one looks to handle sizeable HP.  That one has the aluminum case also?  That will be a nice setup. ::thumbup
20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

SchulzeA

• Global Moderator
  • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2016, 08:36:27 PM »
No pictures yet. I wasted a lot of time listening to others and now I'm doing this my own way. I'm building my own chain drive drop box transfer case. Using the guts from a NP203. A chain drive gives the correct output rotation and won't be noisy like straight cut gears. And a chain drive is an easier build than gears if you are doing it from scratch.
An SCS box will be a $1000+.

How are you changing the rotation with a chain drive gear box if it is rotating CC (looking from the front of the car?

I'm not changing it from CCW...

Then you will be using a custom rear differential?
The diff is GM OE. I'm using an AAM 9.25"

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2016, 08:23:11 PM »
No pictures yet. I wasted a lot of time listening to others and now I'm doing this my own way. I'm building my own chain drive drop box transfer case. Using the guts from a NP203. A chain drive gives the correct output rotation and won't be noisy like straight cut gears. And a chain drive is an easier build than gears if you are doing it from scratch.

How are you changing the rotation with a chain drive gear box if it is rotating CC (looking from the front of the car?

Then you will be using a custom rear differential?
20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

76mx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 358
  • Member Rating Points: +16/-0
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2016, 06:44:00 PM »
Just a thought guys. A Gilmer belt can handle plenty of horsepower. Why not take a tip from Harley and make it belt drive?

SchulzeA

• Global Moderator
  • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2016, 04:09:29 PM »