Author Topic: 3800 sc engine , new heads & new gaskets throughout  (Read 3453 times)

Havemurci

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 89
  • Member Rating Points: +2/-0
Re: 3800 sc engine , new heads & new gaskets throughout
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2016, 10:40:36 AM »
Good point Tusabes, I'm thinking more about that everyday. It is probably easier or just as difficult to build a business and buy a real car and anything else you want, RT said it best, It isn't enough to want a Lambo, you have to want to BUILD A CAR. That's why I say to each his or her own, faker, I don't want to jack this thread, I'll add pics to my roadster top thread. I want minihawn to get the best advice possible, he's grinding on this build and if I can help... I'm down.

Tusabes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 127
  • Member Rating Points: +8/-2
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2016, 10:37:14 PM »
Part of the reason building lambo replicas is so hard is that to build a good replica you need to spend $50k plus . That's a third of the price of a used real one . 

If you could build a replica for a tenth of the cost of real it would be more attractive - once you start spending a third or half the cost of a real one , you might as well step up and buy a real one

faker

• Liked: 26
  • Member Rating Points: +3/-0
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2016, 08:17:28 PM »
i think it depends on what exactly your looking for, like the owner of this very forums once told me when i asked him the reason he lost interest in the hobby "you can keep trying to make it the real thing, but it's never going to be a lambo" with that being said i think from a personal stand point, its about the design the body, its a car we all dream of owning, because of the way it looks.

We can all pretend we do this hobby for our own self interest, but lets be honest, we want people to see it and think its a lambo, wow some people and when asked you explain that "its a kit car a hobby and you want to test your craftsmen ship", but if you did a,swap and your pushing lots of hp you wasted lots of cash on something that's pointless, your goal ain't to race, you shouldn't drive it alot or most people i have spoken with take it out very little.

I say focus on the details of the overall look and design, put the extra cash into the details, like real tail lights, or that extra interior parts etc. the point is to build it without breaking the bank and enjoy the hobby and art. CCIE, btw no disrespect btw and you aint boring me i'm drooling over here  :drool
have you posted any photos? love to see some my friend.

Havemurci

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2016, 04:50:20 PM »
Man, take EDDIE up on that...my harness cost me 750+.

eddie

• Liked: 285
  • Member Rating Points: +19/-2
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2016, 04:48:31 PM »
 my opinion on that, why spend $$ to rebuild 2.8 when you have good 3.8S/C? tha's what you said. wiring is easy I did it my self . I can give you all pin # where each goes. ( how ever my ECM was flashed/chipped, smaller pulley )  but its your build so we just talking from experience we fail back then.  keep going, I 'm watching all you build day by day. ::thumbup

Havemurci

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2016, 04:46:34 PM »
True. Why not rebuild the 3800? Same $$ better result.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 04:48:48 PM by Havemurci »

Tusabes

• Liked: 127
  • Member Rating Points: +8/-2
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2016, 04:41:29 PM »
There's no guarantee this 3800 engine is even any good . He can spend all that money putting it in and wiring it up to find out it's a tired old engine that also needs to be rebuilt .

Seeing new gaskets sticking out of it doesn't mean it's any good , better to rebuild the stock engine so you know what you have . This engine is an unknown quantity

CCIE

• Liked: 96
  • Member Rating Points: +12/-0
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2016, 04:34:28 PM »
To each his own, I want you to be as successful as possible with your build. This decision will have you doing more work for 1/2 the power and probabably about 5k less resale minimum. The 3800sc will add value, how much depends on the overall car but it will create more desire than the stock motor, this is an up stream decision that shows up big time down stream. Believe me,I can't stress enough that you will be glad you kept it if you still can.

Completely agreed with Havemurci

CCIE

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2016, 04:30:38 PM »
minihawn, i swear man we think alike, i agree that your best option is doing exactly what your doing, i'm doing the same thing in fact, replicas really shouldn't be built with a bunch of speed, first off we have all compermised so much on the cars frame, cutting and welding, tons of suspension upgrades, the cars are really un safe as it is, what do you need all that power for? if it was real i wouldn't race a civic, and even though its not i wouldn't race a civic or anybody who pulls up. And screw re sale is pointless because they already hold little value outside this hobby.

unless your a couple folks on here who seem to think they can get 50k or 75k off a build, lol but i already stated my.opinion on that matter. Anyway i love reading post and keeping up with whats going on, good luck man.

All good point......
Except when and if you go to sell your car there are specific items people will be looking for unless your price is dirt cheap like around 5 or so K.
If anyone thinks they can get 50-60K just by doing an engine upgrade they are fooling no one except themselves.
You don't have to race because you have more horses... BUT but but its good to have the uhmppphhhh when needed.
if you are competing with Hondas in your build then lets just say you have a long way to go.... you don't have a replica you have a kit car and a big self indulging ego with illusions of make belief reality.... By they way these folks fool no one except themselves...

Its your build and do what ever you think is best for you and your build but since you already have a Super Charge engine.... Hold on to it just in case you change your mind rather then just giving it away......
Again just my opinion and I am sure every one has there opinion as well.

Good luck with your build
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 03:03:13 PM by CCIE »

Havemurci

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2016, 04:07:19 PM »
To each his own, I want you to be as successful as possible with your build. This decision will have you doing more work for 1/2 the power and probabably about 5k less resale minimum. The 3800sc will add value, how much depends on the overall car but it will create more desire than the stock motor, this is an up stream decision that shows up big time down stream. Believe me,I can't stress enough that you will be glad you kept it if you still can.

faker

• Liked: 26
  • Member Rating Points: +3/-0
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2016, 02:43:05 PM »
minihawn, i swear man we think alike, i agree that your best option is doing exactly what your doing, i'm doing the same thing in fact, replicas really shouldn't be built with a bunch of speed, first off we have all compermised so much on the cars frame, cutting and welding, tons of suspension upgrades, the cars are really un safe as it is, what do you need all that power for? if it was real i wouldn't race a civic, and even though its not i wouldn't race a civic or anybody who pulls up. And screw re sale is pointless because they already hold little value outside this hobby.

unless your a couple folks on here who seem to think they can get 50k or 75k off a build, lol but i already stated my.opinion on that matter. Anyway i love reading post and keeping up with whats going on, good luck man.

minihawn

• Liked: 84
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 12:59:26 PM »
I'm having my fiero engine rebuilt. but thank u
Fate has no choice

CCIE

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 12:57:21 PM »
I'm planning on leaving my v6 fiero engine in my car, i can always upgrade my engine later in life.

I highly recommend that you either swap the engine to better engine now while you are in the mist of your build or keep the SC3800 for future swap.  This will give you a better resale value when and if you do sell your car..

Just my 2 cents

minihawn

• Liked: 84
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 11:31:58 AM »
nah. really its just i plan on keeping my car all stock and having the fiero engine rebuilt
Fate has no choice

eddie

• Liked: 285
  • Member Rating Points: +19/-2
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 11:24:16 AM »
The 3.8 bolts to stock Fiero tranny
Is it because of wiring?