How To - Tips > Heating and Cooling

Diablo roadster cooling system

<< < (3/9) > >>

76mx:
01, the capability of a water pump is determined by something called "Head". It can pump water a long ways and uphill a little bit or it can pump a little ways and uphill a lot more. In a typical system, water does not go very far and it goes uphill the height of the radiator. Looking at Jim's diagram, water must be pumped twice the height of the radiator and farther as well, doubling the head requirement. Having said that and knowing a little about GM mechanical pumps, increasing the head requirement from 2 to 4 when the rating is 12 doesn't make much difference. The thermostat will more determine the amount of water flowing. As I have said earlier, removing the thermostat lets water flow too fast for cooling. Also everyone pay close attention to what Jim is saying about the radiator caps. There are vented and non-vented and they look just alike but the correct one must be used. 

01Lambiero:
There is some talk about a 2nd inline water pump.  Isn't there a possibility of circulating the coolant too quickly through the radiators thus not cooling properly?  My thinking is that if the radiator(s) inlet is located close to the same level as the engine outlet, proper coolant circulation can be handled with the oem pump.  My $0.02

jdinner:
Here is how I make mine. It works.

Neils88:
There are pros and cons to both series and parallel systems.  Series systems tend to be much easier to set up, while parallel systems are generally more efficient.  Having said that...since most people end up with more radiator area than is necessary in a dual set up the slight improvement in efficiency of a parallel system would likely not be relevant...a series system is probably the best bet for most people since you are less likely to end up with problems.  If you are going for a high performance system properly designed by an expert (i.e. race car set up), then parallel would be the better choice.

jdinner:
I have never had problems with radiators connected in series. I have only had problems with overheating when they are connected in parallel.
I had to work on a roadster built by someone that knew only how to paint and it could only run for about 15 minutes until is spilled all coolant onto the ground.
By simply switching the hoses to series it would run longer but still overheat.  By adding in vent ports and a pressure tank it cured the overheating issues.
IMO if your cooling system works in parallel, great! If it does not, consider series to fix it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version