Author Topic: 1986 Countach Replica  (Read 8842 times)

Correy7

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 0
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
Re: 1986 Countach Replica
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2017, 01:32:15 AM »
01 - success! With a little elbow grease, multiple curse words and a few lucky bounces I was able to remove door cards, remove struts and replace with new 4775's that were easy to order at Lordco (same day). The doors function 100% better than before, I am really impressed! Thank you again for the guidance fellas, saved me many $$ along the way!

Not to mention, the car was missing the key for door locks when it arrived here in Vancouver, the seller did not have a copy, lo and behold the original key must have been forgotten in the door during the build as I found it in a pile of dust in door interior  when replacing the strut ..I was pretty happy about that, one last thing that would have needed to been replaced! I.e lock cylinders

Next up: headliner repair, front latch repair and last but not least , washer fluid pump attention.

See picture for outcome of strut replacements!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 01:34:45 AM by Correy7 »

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2017, 12:20:39 AM »
1984-1990 Dodge Caravan rear hatch lift (according to the number on the gas strut #4775).  You should be able to pick up this part at most auto parts stores.  I don't know if the end is removable or not.  You may have to take the lower end apart from the vehicle.

20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

Correy7

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2017, 09:32:10 PM »
Fellas..

Success! I was able to get the door card removed today and 01 you were correct, removing the speaker was key. I have been able to detach one end of strut from door frame and have located torque headed bolt head just above the wheel well in which connects the other end to frame, there was an access point in interior wheel well although a tight space, will need to get the ratchet and extension out tomorrow to reattempt loosening of this end.

However it appears as though the strut end that remains attached (stroke end) is threaded into the end piece that is bolted to frame, would it be wiser to simply unscrew strut from end connection than to disassemble connection to frame? I have taken pictures (attached)...possibly these will help to illustrate what I am attempting to explain.

Last but not least...any idea where I can locate a strut with part number as identified by the photo?

Cheers,
SC

Correy7

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2017, 09:56:03 PM »
01 - great thank you.

I will take photos as you mentioned and get them up here sometime this weekend.

I can confirm the speaker appears to be attached to the door card and appears as though it can be removed quite easily, it is right around the point where I can now feel via door cavity that the struct connects to the door frame.

I will attempt to remove the speaker tomorrow to see if strut and connection to frame are visible and snap a few photos all round. 

Great advice on the washer pump, I will give that a go tomorrow as well and do my best to gain  aline of sight on its whereabouts.

Thank you  :)

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2017, 12:24:57 PM »
We need to see close up hi-res still pictures of the attachment of the strut rod to the lower mount along with pics of the door card edges.  Most times the strut snaps onto a ball stud on lower mount.  Does the speaker in the door card move in when lightly pushed on?  This will tell us whether it is screwed to the door inner or the door card.  The speaker may have to be removed first in order to remove the door card.  As for the washer jar,  the washer fluid pump is usually located near the reservoir jar.  Have someone activate the washer pump and follow the sound.  You may also follow the washer squirter hose to the reservoir. 

« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 12:32:31 PM by 01Lambiero »
Retired

Correy7

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2017, 11:46:55 PM »
Hello All,

Please see below a link to video of the door in which I need to replace the lift strut (actually I need to replace both) - kindly let me know any thoughts you may have as to how to access strut both in skirt and door itself.

Youtube Link: https://youtu.be/0zCJYc4Qqxo

A few other items that I need help with:

1. Any recommendations or threads on headliner replacement "how to" and;
2. I cannot seem to locate the washer fluid reservoir, is this not typically located in front compartment of fiero... I would assume the same on this kit but am having difficulty finding anything.

Last few items for BC safety are:

1. Door struts
2. Headliner
3. Washer fluid (functional) and:
4. Seat bolts need to be tightened

I know you guys help newbies like myself because of your enthusiasm for this hobby, I hope to do the same someday as my knowledge grows and really appreciate any insight you can offer along the way.

Boy am I excited that she's now sitting at our place, a few more items to go and back on the road :)

Correy7

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 07:28:39 PM »
Fellas, appreciate your responses and willingness to help.

I will upload pictures as requested when car is in my possession and try to take as many as possible to help with the assessment. I spoke with the glass installer today and asked him to do a little recon on the door, he mentioned that it appears to be  a door card with fastener clips however was weary of doing the repair work himself due to brittleness of fiberglass that he experienced when inserting window frames.

Will follow up on this next week - parking brake cable is being replaced over course of next day or so, that should be last detail before I can get her back here.

Any idea from video who would have manufactured this kit?

Thanks all!

88.5countach

• Liked: 56
  • Member Rating Points: +11/-0
    • 88.5 Countach's Website (Lamborghini Countach Replica)
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 01:12:09 PM »
Shane: Please post at least 6 pictures of the door from various angles to help us out.  Just click the "attachments and other options" at the bottom of the text frame on the "Reply" window to load your pictures.

More pics would be good but your on track with removing the inner door cart to get access.  Once off it should be accessible.

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 11:22:14 AM »
Shane: Please post at least 6 pictures of the door from various angles to help us out.  Just click the "attachments and other options" at the bottom of the text frame on the "Reply" window to load your pictures.

Retired

Correy7

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 01:32:49 PM »
Apologies guys -

I was able to upload the video to youtube moments ago...below link should work:

https://youtu.be/b_auDdUkA-A

The vehicle was shipped to me from New Brunswick to Vancouver, BC in August however during shipping the passenger side window was broken, glass has been cut, tempered and installed as of yesterday - took a while to find a local professional capable and willing to do so.

I should have the car in my garage as of late week at which point I can take additional footage - this original video was done by seller.

My trending thought is that they way in which door struts are accessed is through removal of interior door card? This coming to me after examining build manuals and videos...would I be on the right track?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 09:07:46 PM by Correy7 »

Correy7

1986 Countach Replica
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 12:18:38 AM »
Hello Lamboclone forum -

Guys I am brand new to this site and am looking for assistance, advice and insight regarding a new acquisition of mine.

After 15+ years of looking; I have purchased a nearly complete 86 countach replica, built on an 88 Fiero non-stretched chassis.

I am learning quickly that this will be a rewarding but enduring project and first task to tackle of pronvincial safety is that of the door strut.

As it stands now, and quasi visible in the video link below the passenger side door strut has lost almost all compression and will need to be replaced...the question I don't know the answer too is how to access the mounting points. One in side skirt is visible, one in door is not.

I have no record of original kit manufacturer and am unsure how to dissemble door to access strut head, I am of the assumption that interior door panel would be removeable for access but can only assume this based on other incomplete skits I have seen, how to know wether this is screwed together or glued is another challenge.

I am mechanically inclined, patient and seeking a few starting points to begin tackling this.

Apologies if this had been entered in the wrong area but will learn the ropes quickly as I imagine I will be here frequently! 

https://doc-08-68-docs.googleusercontent.com/docs/securesc/4rseirjb2brpk43iridrbka3cv1jbef0/dp6pm2iect6kecmq8ni928f5e4d94p27/1508817600000/15069435388295558182/15822383574801962991/0B2HvWbhZoWx5bTJRVFBKRG9Mc28?e=download&nonce=i090a63uj9bfs&user=15822383574801962991&hash=p3s980d4semfm4fqg3to9dj5v4to6kmr

Please let me know your thoughts should there be any you think may help.

Cheers,
Shane