Build Diaries > Countach

1986 Countach Replica

<< < (4/6) > >>

Correy7:
01 - success! With a little elbow grease, multiple curse words and a few lucky bounces I was able to remove door cards, remove struts and replace with new 4775's that were easy to order at Lordco (same day). The doors function 100% better than before, I am really impressed! Thank you again for the guidance fellas, saved me many $$ along the way!

Not to mention, the car was missing the key for door locks when it arrived here in Vancouver, the seller did not have a copy, lo and behold the original key must have been forgotten in the door during the build as I found it in a pile of dust in door interior  when replacing the strut ..I was pretty happy about that, one last thing that would have needed to been replaced! I.e lock cylinders

Next up: headliner repair, front latch repair and last but not least , washer fluid pump attention.

See picture for outcome of strut replacements!

01Lambiero:
1984-1990 Dodge Caravan rear hatch lift (according to the number on the gas strut #4775).  You should be able to pick up this part at most auto parts stores.  I don't know if the end is removable or not.  You may have to take the lower end apart from the vehicle.

Correy7:
Fellas..

Success! I was able to get the door card removed today and 01 you were correct, removing the speaker was key. I have been able to detach one end of strut from door frame and have located torque headed bolt head just above the wheel well in which connects the other end to frame, there was an access point in interior wheel well although a tight space, will need to get the ratchet and extension out tomorrow to reattempt loosening of this end.

However it appears as though the strut end that remains attached (stroke end) is threaded into the end piece that is bolted to frame, would it be wiser to simply unscrew strut from end connection than to disassemble connection to frame? I have taken pictures (attached)...possibly these will help to illustrate what I am attempting to explain.

Last but not least...any idea where I can locate a strut with part number as identified by the photo?

Cheers,
SC

Correy7:
01 - great thank you.

I will take photos as you mentioned and get them up here sometime this weekend.

I can confirm the speaker appears to be attached to the door card and appears as though it can be removed quite easily, it is right around the point where I can now feel via door cavity that the struct connects to the door frame.

I will attempt to remove the speaker tomorrow to see if strut and connection to frame are visible and snap a few photos all round. 

Great advice on the washer pump, I will give that a go tomorrow as well and do my best to gain  aline of sight on its whereabouts.

Thank you  :)

01Lambiero:
We need to see close up hi-res still pictures of the attachment of the strut rod to the lower mount along with pics of the door card edges.  Most times the strut snaps onto a ball stud on lower mount.  Does the speaker in the door card move in when lightly pushed on?  This will tell us whether it is screwed to the door inner or the door card.  The speaker may have to be removed first in order to remove the door card.  As for the washer jar,  the washer fluid pump is usually located near the reservoir jar.  Have someone activate the washer pump and follow the sound.  You may also follow the washer squirter hose to the reservoir. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version