How To - Tips > Steering / Suspension

Need Help!

<< < (3/5) > >>

★Murci-Me★:
Because although there is no "steering linkage" in the rear, there is a linkage attached to the spindle that does not share the same pivot point of the lower control arm. That linkage is designed to keep the spindle aligned forward, mounted to the steering arm on the spindle ("toe adjustment" on diagram). The same "bump steer" that occurs on the front of a car due to the steering linkage like you mention also happens on the rear of Fieros for the same reason.

76mx:
I am not familiar with Fiero suspension and curious about the bump steer upgrade. When the a-arms travel in a different arc than the steering linkage, that causes very slight toe in and/or out as the suspension travels up and down, which is bump steer. Since there is no steering linkage on the rear, no linkage traveling in a different arc, seems to me that there should be no bump steer in the first place, let alone a need for a new suspension to correct it. What am I missing here?

★Murci-Me★:
I'm gonna bet its stock Fiero suspension. Very few people spend the extra money on these builds for widetrack suspension. Judging from the pictures of under the front hood, it looks like this was a shoestring budget build.

01Lambiero:
Definitely has to be a "anti-bump steer" rear upgrade.  Look at the inset pic of a Arraut rear suspension to see if you have this modification done to your car.  This kit comes with a "wide track" built into it so your car might not have a adapter spacer at the wheel lug nuts.  If you DO have this rear suspension kit, then longer axle shafts will be required.

★Murci-Me★:
Most ALL the stock parts are redily available from your local auto part stores (Pep Boys, Kragan, O'Reily, etc). Before you get all distressed about finding parts, why don't you just go into the auto part store FIRST, and if they cant help you then consult the forum.
As far as your rear suspension goes, its all available at the auto part store. Bearings, hubs, brakes, axels, half shafts, sensors, shocks, struts, steering arms (the list goes on forever), are ALL available from the auto part stores. All you need to tell them is the year, make and model of the car, engine size and transmission/gearbox type and they can look up EVERYTHING on the car.
Posting pictures of the exterior of the car does absolutely nothing to help identify the suspension type. I will bet if its a "bump stop" rear suspension then its all stock Fiero. Nobody to my knowledge would recreate an aftermarket bump stop suspension for these cars since everybody was trying to get rid of it in the first place, being such a bad design and the inherent problems associated with it.

Also, go buy yourself one of these books.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version