Author Topic: Need some input. Motor and trans decision?  (Read 2554 times)

AdrianBurton

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 202
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
Re: Need some input. Motor and trans decision?
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2019, 12:54:23 AM »
I think that you are missing the frustration that comes from answering the same question 1000 time about your area of expertise and have it questioned at every turn

Spyder3000gtvr4

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 3
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2019, 11:45:52 AM »
That was helpful thanks

76mx

• Liked: 358
  • Member Rating Points: +16/-0
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2019, 11:25:32 AM »
In that case, forget everything I told you. I have zero experience on a build where money was never mentioned as a priority, only modern lightweight powerful reliable. I am guessing a dual turbo LS with a Gertraag, also guessing $30,000-$40,000.

Spyder3000gtvr4

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2019, 08:19:20 AM »
My priority is to have as modern, lightweight, powerful, reliable engine as possible. I’m not looking for 100% accuracy as I plan on doing a some affolter type of mods.
No offense to anybody as everybody does there own thing but I never understood the whole “I want it to look 100%! Accurate and I’ll spend ridiculous amounts of money” then you pop the engine hood to see a replica engine cover (more money) and see a 35 yr old 100hp fiero engine.

aeauto

• Liked: 33
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2019, 08:39:40 AM »
If you want a transmission that will reliably hold 450+ HP with gearing optimized for your engine be prepared to pay for it.  Contact Mendeola or Griffin transmissions and they can build what you want for something around $15000.  If you want a car that wont see the track and is just a good, fun toy go with an engine that makes 350 to 400 HP with a BoxsterS/Cayman 6-speed or Audi 01E and live with the not quite optimum gears.  In a light car that will be all the HP you need.

One more thing.  The LS series engines have almost as much aftermarket support as the earlier small block chevy engines and are available with aluminum block and heads at affordable prices.  The electronic engine management system on them makes for a very drivable car regardless of weather conditions.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 09:53:34 AM by aeauto »

76mx

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2019, 12:58:05 AM »
For the rest of the Forum, let me graphically explain one of the points in the previous post. If you took a several thousand horsepower Top Fuel engine and hooked it to a bicycle tire, how much transmission would you need? The answer is very little. On the other hand, if you took a several hundred horsepower engine and hooked it to a couple of big sticky drag slicks under a 2,000lb downforce wing, you are going to need a lot more transmission for the much lesser horsepower. All of the published transmission ratings are subjective.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 01:02:37 AM by 76mx »

76mx

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2019, 12:40:51 AM »
Is it an aluminum block? Is it a 6.0 or 6.2? Why was the case coated in stainless steel? Has the gearing been changed to optimize performance for the engine? I’ve also has the 5.2 v10 thrown into the discussion. Right now I’m leaning towards the ls3 based on support and maintenance. Also is a g97.50 a better trans for more power then the 01e/x? I don’t want to have to baby this thing.
It is  steel block with aluminum heads. Aluminum block will run another $1,000 but is not in stock. What is your priority here? It is a 383 stroker. The gearing has not been changed, again another $1,000 but again not in stock and what are the priorities? Unless you have a wing on the back the size of a garage door you will never get the friction coefficient x contact patch x downforce formula to hook up what you already have before spending the extra $2,000. The case was coated in stainless steel because it looks badass. The 5.2 V-10 may be a good choice, but by the time you design from scratch an exhaust system and the other support items, add another many thousands of dollars. What is the upside? That was a polite way of asking again what the priorities are on this? Based on support and maintenance, I am absolutely certain that a small block Chevy of the last 60 years is the most prolific and best supported engine on the planet, and that whatever is second is very distant. It is true that the O1X is not as strong as the other Porsche/Audi gearboxes, but I have used this combination on six cars without issue, it goes back to the formula and the garage door wing, you just cannot get enough hooked up to hurt it. But if you do wat a 01E or O16, add another $3,000.   

Spyder3000gtvr4

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2019, 08:48:27 PM »
Is it an aluminum block? Is it a 6.0 or 6.2? Why was the case coated in stainless steel? Has the gearing been changed to optimize performance for the engine? I’ve also has the 5.2 v10 thrown into the discussion. Right now I’m leaning towards the ls3 based on support and maintenance. Also is a g97.50 a better trans for more power then the 01e/x? I don’t want to have to baby this thing.

76mx

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2019, 01:15:26 PM »
Well I’m not looking to track the car but want it to perform well. I want 450hp+. Ls2 swap outs can be bought for around 4K and ls3/Audi 4.0tfsi I found both for under 6k. If I can get the tfsi (without an adaptor which I’m 99% sure can be done.) and the trans from Scotty, I’d need the clutch and flywheel I’d be around 10k and 520hp. The naerc chassis is setup for longitude engine and I’m not looking to cut up the chassis to do transverse. If I was to do transverse I was going to go with a 3000gt vr4 or Taurus sho.  I actually bought a 2010 Taurus sho to use the driveline out of its 365hp and some mods it’s about 500hp. But now my Taurus is a spare daily driver.
Spyder, that is a reasonable solution, but you are right about it being $10,000, and it is a salvage yard drivetrain. Here is another alternative: New still in crate 450HP aluminum head small block with Porsche/Audi small bell housing flywheel balanced to this engine at factory, that flywheel along with the clutch and starter and adapter plate package from Eric at AEAuto, and a Porsche/Audi 01X from Scotty (I had the case coated with stainless steel). All of this is in stock and ready to ship, at $9,000 it is all new stuff and at least a thousand less than the other route, and the engine has a 100,000 mile factory warranty. 

aeauto

• Liked: 33
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2019, 09:32:10 AM »
Some background I have a Naerc chassis and diablo roadster body which I was convinced to keep and alter after 2 seperate coupes fell through. No rims/contort arms. My first choice was always a 3000gt vr4 6spd with awd blockoff. Complete driveline can be purchased with ecu and harness for around 2500$ and it’s 330hp stock very easily to get to the 450hp mark but I’m not “butchering” a Naerc chassis for what would be an inferior configuration. So the other day I was presented with a reasonably  priced ls2. So it got me doing research on the trans. I’m not looking to spend 10k on say a Mendola. It looks like a g50 would be slighlty less. From what I’ve come up with boxster s 6spd 968 isn’t a good choice. Which leads me to an Audi 01e I’ve read mixed reviews on advanced Automotion. And forget the other place I’ve probably been researching this for 4days straight now and have a pounding headache
So I’m looking for a good trans that’s 6 spd!!! To mate to a 450hp ls2. Since I’m pretty sure I’m going 01e who makes a great setup to handle power at a reasonable price. As well as adaptor. Still open to ideas. Not looking to vdrive

You really need to talk to Scott at Advanced Automotion about using an Audi V8.  Can be complicated and you may need an adapter to use with a manual transmission.  I did one for him for an Audi V8 to manual.  The Boxster S/Cayman 6-speed is generally considered to be good up to 500HP and would be cheaper than the 01E and already has linkage for a cable shifter so no additional parts are necessary for that.  I make a cable shift for the 01E.
  It might not require all that much modification to your chassis to go with a transverse installation but the longitudinal would definitely be my choice.

Spyder3000gtvr4

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2018, 05:32:51 PM »
Well I’m not looking to track the car but want it to perform well. I want 450hp+. Ls2 swap outs can be bought for around 4K and ls3/Audi 4.0tfsi I found both for under 6k. If I can get the tfsi (without an adaptor which I’m 99% sure can be done.) and the trans from Scotty, I’d need the clutch and flywheel I’d be around 10k and 520hp. The naerc chassis is setup for longitude engine and I’m not looking to cut up the chassis to do transverse. If I was to do transverse I was going to go with a 3000gt vr4 or Taurus sho.  I actually bought a 2010 Taurus sho to use the driveline out of its 365hp and some mods it’s about 500hp. But now my Taurus is a spare daily driver.

VF1Skullangel

• Liked: 9
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2018, 05:13:29 PM »
Allow me to be serious  ::bounce

If you don’t plan on doing any serious racing I wouldn’t waste my time or money going after an LS3 with a Porsche transmission. You’re looking at spending somewhere in the neighborhood of $10-17k why not go onto Copart and find you a motor and trans out of a new Toyota Camry? Those V6 motors make decent power and you can buy Supercharger a for them. Just ask Lotus. The evora is a great car. You don’t need a huge expensive V8 to enjoy the car. Be realistic with your intentions and that’s really going to tell you want motor and trans you’ll go with.

Spyder3000gtvr4

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2018, 04:05:19 PM »
So I want to get this build going..... again. Originally I wanted an ls2 around 450hp because I like being able to say I have a 6.0. Now I know if I go ls2/ls3 I need an adaptor (additional 2k) What about an Audi 4.0 tfsi out of a 2013 s8? I’m kinda up in the air. I can get the 520hp s8 engine with harness and ecu for the same price as the 430hp ls3 with harness, ecu and pedal. I honestly have no idea about the s8 engine or it’s weight. It’s nice to have the extra power and I like the idea of the Audi if it doesn’t need an adaptor. I’d also like  to compare the ls3 weight with adaptor vs the 4.0tfsi really hoping it doesn’t need the adaptor but having a hard time finding info. Another thing I’d have to consider if it doesn’t need an adaptor and I save 2k plus get almost 100hp extra will it be worth it when it needs repairs? Almost anybody can work on an ls3 and parts are cheap comparatively speaking to the Audi. Ls3 Is proven and many boards for help. Where as the Audi there’s not going to be many people or forums.

Any thoughts?

76mx

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 08:40:23 PM »
I have never heard a bad review of Advanced Automotion and would give Scotty an excellent review. Once he delivered a transaxle to me with his airplane, no extra charge when I was in a big hurry. He and I will both refer you to Eric Martin for the adapter 214-606-2457.

PS- I have two 01's at his shop right now that are built and ready. I only need one of them soon so if you need one of them now, take it and there is plenty of time for him to build me a second one later.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 08:47:36 PM by 76mx »

Spyder3000gtvr4

Need some input. Motor and trans decision?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 04:47:53 PM »
Some background I have a Naerc chassis and diablo roadster body which I was convinced to keep and alter after 2 seperate coupes fell through. No rims/contort arms. My first choice was always a 3000gt vr4 6spd with awd blockoff. Complete driveline can be purchased with ecu and harness for around 2500$ and it’s 330hp stock very easily to get to the 450hp mark but I’m not “butchering” a Naerc chassis for what would be an inferior configuration. So the other day I was presented with a reasonably  priced ls2. So it got me doing research on the trans. I’m not looking to spend 10k on say a Mendola. It looks like a g50 would be slighlty less. From what I’ve come up with boxster s 6spd 968 isn’t a good choice. Which leads me to an Audi 01e I’ve read mixed reviews on advanced Automotion. And forget the other place I’ve probably been researching this for 4days straight now and have a pounding headache
So I’m looking for a good trans that’s 6 spd!!! To mate to a 450hp ls2. Since I’m pretty sure I’m going 01e who makes a great setup to handle power at a reasonable price. As well as adaptor. Still open to ideas. Not looking to vdrive