Author Topic: Which Axles?  (Read 4268 times)

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
Re: Which Axles?
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2017, 11:49:23 AM »
Quit calling the repair "rebuild".  You want to change the axle shaft.
A simple search brought up this site in Fort Myers, FL.  Enjoy!

https://www.mechanicadvisor.com/fl/fort-myers/cv-axle-repair

20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

★Murci-Me★

• 3% CLUB MEMBER
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Liked: 61
  • Member Rating Points: +3/-0
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2017, 10:50:30 AM »
There are a lot of things mechanics wont do any more. Not because it isn't possible, its just not cost effective to spend the time rebuilding a half shaft when you can purchase a new one for a lesser cost.
You don't seem to have that luxury though, since you cant find the assembly you need. You can probably start 3 or 4 more threads here asking the same question 3 or 4 more new ways, OR you can just order the parts and rebuild your axel and be done with it. 2 weeks from now you can either be driving your car or still asking how to fix it, the choice is yours. I think you need to learn how to be more self sufficient and not rely on other people to fix your problems. The forum is here to help people, not to do all their work for them. I know its tough, but eventually all little snowflakes need to grow up and learn to dress themselves.

Simple Man

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2017, 10:32:13 AM »
1. Take what ever is broken in your car and remove

2. contact one of the axles outfits

3. Package your broken part in a double walled box

4 Ship to selected axle company

5. Have a happy holiday  :santa

Been wanting to use the santa emjoi  :LL:
Can you suggest an axle company? Apparently, no one in South West FL rebuilds axles. I've done a search, both online and physically, and the answer is always the same, "No one rebuilds axles, just replace the half shaft".
This makes perfect sense, as I purchased the Fiero half shaft for $62. bucks, and for that, I wouldn't even consider getting my hands dirty, or taking the time to replace a CV joint. Wrong half shaft though, so it looks like I'm going to be tasked with the job myself.
Happy Kwanzaa.

Dude, quit smoking the weed as it promotes short term memory loss!!  :D

It could also make you loose motivation/lazy and never get anything done on your car. 

Although I must say "I smoked marijuana but I didn't inhale or have sexual relations with that woman"   8)

« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 10:40:00 AM by Simple Man »

Ccemn1

• Liked: 22
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2017, 09:48:48 AM »

Can you suggest an axle company? Apparently, no one in South West FL rebuilds axles. I've done a search, both online and physically, and the answer is always the same, "No one rebuilds axles, just replace the half shaft".
This makes perfect sense, as I purchased the Fiero half shaft for $62. bucks, and for that, I wouldn't even consider getting my hands dirty, or taking the time to replace a CV joint. Wrong half shaft though, so it looks like I'm going to be tasked with the job myself.
Happy Kwanzaa.

Simple Man

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2017, 08:20:34 AM »

Ccemn1

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2017, 06:30:59 AM »
FYI, apparently I'm not the only one unaware of this, as I took the car to three different mechanics here in Ft. Myers, FL, all of whom have been in business since the 70's, and none of them were willing to rebuild CV joints. Every one of them told me to just find a new half shaft, saying "nobody rebuilds CV joints anymore".
For guys with a hobby like this, you don't seem too terribly well adjusted, name calling and going on the attack so quickly and easily. Maybe you should consider a little more intimacy with women? Just might make you a little more chill. Smarta$$.

Ccemn1

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2017, 06:16:17 AM »
Here you go Midol Man, this search took me all of 15 seconds to come up with these results.
https://www.carid.com/1986-pontiac-fiero-cv-joints-boots/

Look at this also, OMG!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-OEM-Front-CV-Joint-7845028/222679956787?fits=Make%3APontiac%7CModel%3AFiero&epid=673314162&hash=item33d8c27d33:g:mVQAAOSwvEZZ5Gnt

And there's more!
http://www.gmtuners.com/swap/axles.htm

So much info lol!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_VKktIEaTE

Its VERY obvious you know nothing about Fiero's, which is what makes it so comical when you claim its not possible to replace just the CV joints and re-use the existing axels which is what we have been telling you from the start.
In case you didn't know, there's this thing called the "internet", and a search engine called "Google". It's probably a good idea if you try searching the internet FIRST, before you go on a forum saying you need help but then tell the people responding they are wrong about the advice they are giving lol. Dumb@ss.

Thank you, and I do genuinely appreciate this, but wouldn't this have been so much easier, than engaging in the previous childish BS?
It seems some on here are totally unaware that there are others without this knowledge, or they just prefer playing games.
Thanks again.

★Murci-Me★

• 3% CLUB MEMBER
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2017, 10:59:37 PM »
Here you go Midol Man, this search took me all of 15 seconds to come up with these results.
https://www.carid.com/1986-pontiac-fiero-cv-joints-boots/

Look at this also, OMG!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-OEM-Front-CV-Joint-7845028/222679956787?fits=Make%3APontiac%7CModel%3AFiero&epid=673314162&hash=item33d8c27d33:g:mVQAAOSwvEZZ5Gnt

And there's more!
http://www.gmtuners.com/swap/axles.htm

So much info lol!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_VKktIEaTE

Its VERY obvious you know nothing about Fiero's, which is what makes it so comical when you claim its not possible to replace just the CV joints and re-use the existing axels which is what we have been telling you from the start.
In case you didn't know, there's this thing called the "internet", and a search engine called "Google". It's probably a good idea if you try searching the internet FIRST, before you go on a forum saying you need help but then tell the people responding they are wrong about the advice they are giving lol. Dumb@ss.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 11:15:34 PM by ★Murci-Me★ »

Ccemn1

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2017, 03:30:16 PM »
Cc: Why do you condemn all of us on this forum? when you have received very positive help with your problem replica?  I don't know why you chose to initiate three different posts on the same topic.  Usually one post will get you on the right road to driving your replica again.  You must realize that a "replica" is NOT a kit car.  Each of us that have built or are building a replica have hundreds of "custom" built parts in them.  There are no two replicas alike.  They may appear to be the same but they are not.  When a part fails and you need help in the repair, many times it will end up with you, the owner, to think of a plan for the repair.  We may not understand your verbal explanation of your problem or the lack of quality pictures of the problem part in order to give you a repair remedy but we try.
To those of you who HAVE been helpful, I apologize, but to anyone reading these posts, the vitriol and nonsense couldn't be more obvious.
I posted a few different times, when failing to get any Info, or answers, hoping I might finally encounter someone with some mechanical knowledge (I'd still like to know how these guys replace a CV joint without rebuilding it, or replacing the axle!). I'd also like to know who it is holding a gun to these people's head, forcing them to read my posts and get so upset?
I have built four "Replicars". All but one, VW Type 1 based. My knowledge of Fieros is nonexistent, and I apologize for that.
I still contend that there are more on here either looking for an argument, or trying to prove how smart they are, than there are those helpful and supportive to newbies, which really reflects bad on the site.

Manny

• Liked: 0
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2017, 03:27:46 PM »
Can anyone let me know where or who I can talk to about getting a clone in box me thanks

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2017, 11:25:34 AM »
Cc: Why do you condemn all of us on this forum? when you have received very positive help with your problem replica?  I don't know why you chose to initiate three different posts on the same topic.  Usually one post will get you on the right road to driving your replica again.  You must realize that a "replica" is NOT a kit car.  Each of us that have built or are building a replica have hundreds of "custom" built parts in them.  There are no two replicas alike.  They may appear to be the same but they are not.  When a part fails and you need help in the repair, many times it will end up with you, the owner, to think of a plan for the repair.  We may not understand your verbal explanation of your problem or the lack of quality pictures of the problem part in order to give you a repair remedy but we try.
20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

Ccemn1

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2017, 06:38:39 AM »
If you guys devoted one fifth the energy into sharing Info, as you do getting your panties in a bunch and bitching like little girls, this would be a much better site. By the shear number and volatility of your responses, it couldn't be more obvious which is more important to you.
Go take your Midol now and have a nice day.

★Murci-Me★

• 3% CLUB MEMBER
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2017, 09:46:24 PM »
O  M  G. On one hand he says its cheaper just to replace the half shaft, and then he asks where you got yours rebuilt!
Why would you replace the entire half shaft when all you need to do is replace the CV joints (not REBUILD them, REPLACE them!). He bitches and moans how no one will give him any information or help him, even with the 3 threads he's started asking what to do lol!!!!
Put your existing (and perfectly good) axle into some new CV joints and be done with it already! Why do you insist on replacing a perfectly good axle, especially when you cant even find a new replacement for it?????
This topic has been going on for months now and you still haven't made any progress. I think your biggest obstacle is your ignorance, not the axle shaft.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 09:49:04 PM by ★Murci-Me★ »

Simple Man

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2017, 06:26:04 PM »
A link to where you had it done, would be a productive, positive post on a public forum, but it seems you guys would rather play soap opera, than share valuable info.

Did you ask where I had my work done?  I was only telling you my experience.  You sounded like you could do it at half the price and half the time based on your last post.

http://www.moserengineering.com/Axles-Custom-made-to-order.dept

https://www.dutchmanaxles.com/

https://www.driveshaftshop.com/axle-measurement

Ccemn1

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2017, 06:07:42 PM »
A link to where you had it done, would be a productive, positive post on a public forum, but it seems you guys would rather play soap opera, than share valuable info.