Author Topic: 3800 SC engine over heating  (Read 6748 times)

★Murci-Me★

• 3% CLUB MEMBER
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Liked: 61
  • Member Rating Points: +3/-0
Re: 3800 SC engine over heating
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2018, 10:41:18 PM »
The 3800 would not be running if it had a timing issue though, that is something that is controlled by the computer and is not adjustable except for minor (+/- 2 degrees) tuning.
I did not ask if the exhaust manifolds are FROM a Fiero, I asked if they are the same type construction as on the Fiero, meaning thin wall steel pipe. If they are, and are not cast iron, then they are going to glow red hot during high RPM's. Every engine with steel tube exhaust manifolds are going to glow at some point, its just the nature of the construction.
I've had a V6 Fiero engine in my build from the start, with a fiberglass body all around it and have never worried about it catching fire even though my engine is perfectly tuned and the exhaust manifolds glow red hot during high RPM's like they are supposed to.

diablodoc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 28
  • Member Rating Points: +2/-0
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2018, 08:25:22 AM »
CCIE -- with the glowing exhaust and other things you have described I'd have to agree that you likely have a timing issue.  I once had a Ford pickup that overheated and spewed water all over the place.  It was tracked down to a leak in a vacuum hose that threw the timing off.  Replaced hose and all was fine.  Your engine is more complicated than my old carbureted Ford but the idea is the same.  By the way, if you want to learn more about pressure tanks, go to jimdinner.wordpress.com.  On the right side there is a list of archives.  Click on the "July 2012" and scroll down to the write-up titled "Radiator Caps Explained".  Jim does a good job of explaining radiator systems.

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2018, 02:35:36 PM »
My head is still spinning from "how did the water get into your fuel tank" but here goes.  What are you doing to get the manifolds/headers to glow?  What temps is your gauge showing on your dash?  Does the engine perform ok on the road?  Using an infrared gun ($10 on Ebay may not be exact but can be used for comparison), what are the temps at the exhaust ports, at the collectors, at the cat convertor, etc.  Check cooling hoses, radiators, etc. with gun also.  We NEED more data.  Pics would be helpful.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 12:50:27 PM by 01Lambiero »
20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

AdrianBurton

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 202
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2018, 11:43:21 AM »
Your car is computer controlled, so you will need a proper diagnostic done on it.  And based on MM suggestion, you can ceramic coat the headers and/or wrap them

CCIE

• Liked: 96
  • Member Rating Points: +12/-0
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2018, 10:40:53 AM »
First........ Thank you all for responding!!!!!
Murci-Me...My exhaust manifolds are defenetelly not from Fiero. With the entire car body made from fiberglass/composite material and a red hot exhaust I am afraid the car will catch fire. I have had many other replica through the ages and dont recall exhaust turning red like this (Including fieros) My apology I am not saying that it doesn't happen just that I did not run into it before. Also what would you recommend to resolve this, what can I replace the exhaust Manifolds with? I do respect your vast knowledge and would love to hear more and take your advise to resolve this issue

Adrian and Neil.... If its timing issue where can I start with?

Diabolic... I do not recall seeing a pressure tank in my cooling system. Can you please explain more

I am going to throw this out there!!!!   I am in Columbus Ohio
If anyone needs AGP Diablo Glass. I will trade you work on my car for the glass. Send me a PM

Thanks
CCIE
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 10:53:14 AM by CCIE »

★Murci-Me★

• 3% CLUB MEMBER
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Liked: 61
  • Member Rating Points: +3/-0
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2018, 08:25:07 PM »
What are your exhaust manifolds made of? Are they cast iron, or the same thin wall tubing like used on the stock Fiero V6 engine?
Most people don't know that the exhaust manifolds on the Fiero V6 were intentionally made from thin wall tubing so that they WOULD get red hot during high RPM's. It was intentionally designed that way to burn off most of the unburnt fuel before it got to the catalytic converter since the exhaust system is such a short distance from the manifolds to the converter.
If your exhaust manifolds are the same type of construction, theres nothing wrong, its just the nature of the beast.
Most engine exhaust manifolds glow red hot as well, they are usually wrapped so you don't see it so easily.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 08:41:45 PM by ★Murci-Me★ »

AdrianBurton

• Liked: 202
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 04:51:12 PM »
there is definitely a fueling or timing issue causing your overheating

eddie

• Liked: 286
  • Member Rating Points: +19/-2
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 11:12:53 AM »
 Neils88  would it be also that it was reprogram wrong or something that needs to be taken out. ?  I have the same engine chipped and smaller pulley
 no over heating at all or that . two Del sol rads and Spal 1850cfm on each side. I do not use EGR, its blocked and delete besides more other stuff on ECM

Neils88

• Liked: 135
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 09:15:10 AM »
Red hot exhaust manifolds are usually an indication of a timing problem.

diablodoc

• Liked: 28
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 08:46:33 AM »
Sounds to me like you may have an air pocket somewhere in the system blocking the flow of water.  Air pockets form steam which create enough pressure that your water pump can't overcome it.  Make sure you vent all high spots in your system to a pressure tank situated at a point higher than all water lines.  Good luck.

CCIE

• Liked: 96
  • Member Rating Points: +12/-0
3800 SC engine over heating
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 12:16:58 AM »
OK Gents!!!!

I am sure this has been addressed somewhere before.
I have soo many issues with my NAERC replica with a 3800 SC engine that I cant even began to cry about...  so divide and concur and keep moving forward all while balling my eyes out...
My engine is heating to a point my exhaust manifold turns red hot. I was told it could be a water pump and got that replaced but same issue.
The Diablo is on a NAERC replica Chaise with a audi 5000 5 speed, 2 radiators in the back with strong fans, coolent is new, full and circulating. Any ideas where to check, thoughts, suggestions, laugh, bullying, poking with a stick, making jokes, throwing rocks, name calling or any good ideas on how to fix it is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
CCIE
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 12:36:29 AM by CCIE »