Author Topic: Anyone recognize this Diablo roadster kit?  (Read 1474 times)

diablodoc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 28
  • Member Rating Points: +2/-0
Re: Anyone recognize this Diablo roadster kit?
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2018, 12:24:12 PM »
Yes, the doors were full-framed and the A-pillar portion is narrower than those on the Roadster.  I don't know for sure about the windshield but I do know that I had to cut and lengthen the windshield frame to fit the windshield.  Also, I've been told that the Gen I bodies were molded from a real car that had been wrecked in the front on the passenger side and not fixed correctly.  The passenger side is slightly shorter than the driver side.  This shows up in the passenger door being too tight (the latch must be recessed in to get the door to fit) and the passenger rocker panel is too long and must be shortened.

99svmonterey

• Liked: 9
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 04:13:09 PM »
So the doors that came with your kit were coupe doors with the full frame around the top of the glass? Was the windshield a coupe version as well? I believe it is longer than the roader windshield.
I would actually prefer a VT or SV coupe myself and was wondering how big a job it would be to convert this body over to one. If this body is as you describe The GEN1 version it would just be the quarters that would have to be changed. Thanks again for your info.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 04:15:26 PM by 99svmonterey »

diablodoc

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 08:21:16 AM »
I know the Gen II bodies were more accurate and generally had fewer flaws.  I believe they also had a separate front bumper instead of having it molded in.  They also had doors specifically made for a Roadster instead of providing Coupe doors that had to be severely modified to fit.

99svmonterey

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 09:57:14 PM »
Thanks diablodoc. I figured the fixed roof was for strength in shipping. Do you know what the difference is in NAERC generations?

diablodoc

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 12:33:32 PM »
I have a first gen NAERC and from what I'm seeing that is what you have as well.  Rodrieguz will hopefully chime in if he sees this and let you know for sure.  I think the molded-in top might be just for transportation purposes.  Without some type of support up there the body would just fold in half.

99svmonterey

Anyone recognize this Diablo roadster kit?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 09:54:05 PM »
Hi guys. I was wondering if some of you experienced builders recognize this roadster kit. The owner says it is NAERC and it certainly looks like it based on pictures I have seen. It is however the first I have seen with what looks the inner roof panel incorporated into the main body mold. Was that an NAERC feature and is there other distinguishing features to the NAERC kit?
Thanks in advance for any opinions?