Author Topic: Reliable transporters?  (Read 2266 times)

76mx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 358
  • Member Rating Points: +16/-0
Re: Reliable transporters?
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2019, 11:19:11 AM »
They are right, it does not matter on a Diablo what size the tire is, the strake in front of the duct at the bottom of the rear tire will keep it from clearing the fenderwells of a conventional trailer. That makes it impossible to load it backwards as well. Do you still need it delivered? I am coming back to Texas empty from Space Coast, Florida next month. My racecar hauler has 84" between the fenderwells and 104" I.D. . It is still a tight fit but a Diablo will go in. I can give hauling references from people on this Forum, starting with 6.0Nut.   

CCIE

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 96
  • Member Rating Points: +12/-0
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2019, 01:26:44 PM »
Seriously, I would fly one-way on Alegiant or Southwest, rent a pickup with a trailer hitch and a car-hauler from Uhaul and haul it homw myself.  It would not cost much more, if any, than a transport company would charge.  The Diablo is so wide (especially with those mirrors) that it won't fit in most enclosed trailers (unless you remove the mirrors and then it is a tight fit).  It also won't fit on a Uhaul car-hauler without removing the rear tires (too wide).  I would rent the pickup at the airport, go to a salvage yard and buy two Chevy S-10 wheels, then go to Home Depot to get some 2X10's (they can cut them up for you) to ramp the car up on the trailer.  Then rent the trailer and you're all set.  Seems like a lot of trouble but it ensures you get the car back in good shape.  Consider it an adventure!

U Hall car transport will be tight, I towed my Roadster before and I scratched up my fenders, Also THIS IS A MUST..... remember the engine is in the back so you must load the car backwards for even weight distributions so you won't fishtail while driving on the freeway and that is another near impossible feat, since the front end is so low and as you raise the back end the front is going to scrape the road... There is also the time involved towing....
So if you want to save money (saving money will be relative... you have to consider the time, cost of flight, cost of rental ect ect...do it yourself and if you want to avoid the hassle have it shipped..Good Luck

« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 01:31:28 PM by CCIE »

diablodoc

• Liked: 28
  • Member Rating Points: +2/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2019, 12:21:56 PM »
Seriously, I would fly one-way on Alegiant or Southwest, rent a pickup with a trailer hitch and a car-hauler from Uhaul and haul it homw myself.  It would not cost much more, if any, than a transport company would charge.  The Diablo is so wide (especially with those mirrors) that it won't fit in most enclosed trailers (unless you remove the mirrors and then it is a tight fit).  It also won't fit on a Uhaul car-hauler without removing the rear tires (too wide).  I would rent the pickup at the airport, go to a salvage yard and buy two Chevy S-10 wheels, then go to Home Depot to get some 2X10's (they can cut them up for you) to ramp the car up on the trailer.  Then rent the trailer and you're all set.  Seems like a lot of trouble but it ensures you get the car back in good shape.  Consider it an adventure!

Ccemn1

• Liked: 22
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 08:30:43 PM »
I've had some real nightmares with shippers. One was supposed to bring a Porsche from Texas to New Jersey. I ended up having to go pick it up myself in Canada.
More recently my Diablo was supposed to be shipped in an enclosed trailer, the guy showed up in the car wouldn't fit in the trailer.

CCIE

• Liked: 96
  • Member Rating Points: +12/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 08:27:57 PM »
uship.com

If you want multiple quotes
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 01:32:54 PM by CCIE »

Simple Man

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 07:32:45 PM »
https://reliable-carriers.com/

they moved a car for me

Ccemn1

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 03:15:25 PM »
I guess no one has much experience with this, here?

Ccemn1

Reliable transporters?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 10:03:00 AM »
I have to move a Diablo from Texas to Key West, Florida.
Can anyone recommend a reasonable, insured hauler, who is trustworthy to do the job well?
Thanks.