How To - Tips > Frame

My submerged 1988 Fiero GT/ input on my replacement donor Fiero.

(1/2) > >>

01Lambiero:
Right on, Chris.  My build was on a rusty Michigan Fiero.  I found that the center of the worst rust occurred under the bucket seats on the floor pan.  With that in mind, I checked the front suspension areas and found minimal surface rust around the spot welds which cleaned up with a brillo disc.  Eastwood's rust encapsulator was applied after clean up.  With the surround framework and the roll cage tubing, the chassis is sound in my opinion.  Structural areas on the front end have been braced along with the X-brace under the floor pan.  I think that everyone on this forum will agree that a few $K saved at the onset will definitely be spent to add the oem pieces that make an excellent replica in the end.  Hey, only my $0.02,  Like has been said, a SC 3.8L already installed is very tempting.  ::thumbup    Jim

No Bull:
The big concerns with buying a water damaged car could be reduced or even eliminated (at the right price) if only the frame was used.  Normal (non-salt) water would not scare me if I was only using the frame and stretching it anyhow.  The electrical and drive train are the areas to worry about if any water was involved.  I would make sure I spent a couple hours with a power washer blasting every crack and crevice and then dry it completely out.

Now on the other hand, if I could use the insurance check with anything I could get from the Fiero and buy a Fiero with a 3800SC in it already.. no brainer and you'd be much further ahead in my personal opinion. 

The key to buying a donor is to buy as rust free as possible.  For us up North, spending a little extra and buying a car that has never left AZ, Nevada, Texas, California or New Mexico is money in the bank and more time left to focus on the body and other parts of the build.

Chris

01Lambiero:
I guess that I need more info.  What were the concerns with using the water damaged Fiero?  Were you going to stretch the Fiero to build your chassis?  Were you going to use the oem engine?  Surely the CPU and the engine wiring will need replacing if you are going to swap in a new engine.  The taillight harness would have to be redesigned anyway along with the front harness and the dash harness.  You will only be left with the heater harness if you stay with the oem Fiero heater/AC unit.  I'm not seeing any problem with structural integrity with the metal.  These bodies were completely submerged in rust preventative solution during assembly at the factory.  Jim

Blue knight:
Do you want to buy my submerged fiero? I paid 3,500

Murci-Me:
go with the SC3800. How much for that donor?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version