How To - Tips > Steering / Suspension

power rack and pinion dumb question

(1/2) > >>

LP700-4:

--- Quote from: Neils88 on November 27, 2019, 09:29:55 AM --- If they are "capped" (I.e. plugged) you risk hydraulic lock and you may not be able to turn the steering wheel.

--- End quote ---

What do you need steering for??? :)

Neils88:
Which EPS are you using?

Make sure you connect the hydraulic ports so fluid moves freely from one port to the other. If they are "capped" (I.e. plugged) you risk hydraulic lock and you may not be able to turn the steering wheel.

ardillo lambo:
Folks,

I really appreciate the advice and the valuable information, but I'll stick with my idea (already have the all the parts) with an electric power assisted rack. The electric motor is in PID controller that will do most of the work when the car is below 5MPH, after that the motor basically shut down and wheel be all elbow grease. The only thing missing is a manual rack that fit the corvette but there none available. So I'll go with Neils advice fill it with oil and then cap off the lines

CCIE:

--- Quote from: RT on November 26, 2019, 04:36:20 PM ---You would think since the front of these builds don't carry an engine that they would be light and not need power steering.  While you are driving, that might be true BUT a lot of turning is done when moving slow, such as parking.  The wide tires on the front wheels will offer resistance to turning and YOU have to overcome that resistance.
Connecting the power steering isn't that difficult.
I say go for it.
I use Corvette C5 suspension on my build and use a Camaro quick-ratio PS rack.  It makes for a nice feel when driving.

RT

--- End quote ---

I totally agree.... On my IFG Diablo 60 it is painful to park or slow turn. It can get frustrating and is very difficult. Trust me if you have the option to install PS you definitely DEFINITELY want to do that!!!!!!!!

RT:
You would think since the front of these builds don't carry an engine that they would be light and not need power steering.  While you are driving, that might be true BUT a lot of turning is done when moving slow, such as parking.  The wide tires on the front wheels will offer resistance to turning and YOU have to overcome that resistance.
Connecting the power steering isn't that difficult.
I say go for it.
I use Corvette C5 suspension on my build and use a Camaro quick-ratio PS rack.  It makes for a nice feel when driving.

RT

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version