How To - Tips > Steering / Suspension

Wheel spacers

(1/4) > >>

Neils88:
Swapping offset for a spacer, or vice versa, will keep the scrub radius status quo... but status quo may not be the best solution. You may feel that it is working fine but getting the pivot point out to as close as possible to the wheel centerline could greatly improve the handling characteristics and performance of the car. If you are happy with how it is now, then it may not be a priority... but something you should consider down the line.

99Feeablo:
The way I see it, scrub radius should not change at all, if the tire is physically placed in the wheel well exactly as it was with the old wheel , installing a wheel with greater offset and using a spacer to make up that area does nothing to change scrub radius. Steering wheel forces should not change at all. When the tire centerline physically moves outboard due to spacers then yes scrub is affected and also bumpsteer as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

01Lambiero:
I didn't have any suspension problems on my 55 Gasser.   :'( ::scratch :(

76mx:

--- Quote from: 01Lambiero on December 02, 2019, 02:45:37 PM ---Wouldn't having an adapter that is the difference of the backspace of the old wheel and the new wheel be an option for feeablo? The second pic is showing the LH front suspension from the rear of an 1988 Fiero (just for reference).
01, Yes it is an option, just not a good option. The new wheel does nothing to change the already bad scrub radius that the adapter had created. Notice on your drawing that the scrub is called out at 27MM, or very slightly over one inch. It is already too big without the spacer. There are two other ways to widen the track, by widening the a-arms or widening the inner a-arm mounting point. These other ways do not effect the scrub but granted they are more difficult and more expensive, and will probably require modifications to the rack and pinion in order to keep this problem solved from turning into bump steer problem presented.

--- End quote ---

lambo_sam:
Guys, if any of you are going to use wheel adapter spacers Please make sure they are Hub centric and Wheel centric. That means the adapter center hole fits exactly to the rotor hub and has the lip to center the wheel straight and true.

I recommend this shop, they are the best! and can meet any spec. you need! https://www.wheeladapter.com/

This is an old pic, I have since went with bigger rotors But you get the idea...
46 by Lambo Samm, on Flickr

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version