How To - Tips > Steering / Suspension

Wheel spacers

<< < (2/4) > >>

01Lambiero:
Wouldn't having an adapter that is the difference of the backspace of the old wheel and the new wheel be an option for feeablo? The second pic is showing the LH front suspension from the rear of an 1988 Fiero (just for reference).

76mx:

--- Quote from: 99Feeablo on November 30, 2019, 08:07:47 AM ---RT
   I totally understand what your saying about the centerline and geometry and all, but here’s the thing I’m putting different wheels on the old wheels are more of a deep dish where is the new ones the actual mounting point is farther outboard, so the centerline of the actual tire never changes in the wheel well only the point at which the wheel mates to the spacer. So in it’s turning arc should be the same... I think, lol. I’m sure you’ve done more research on this than me. All I can do for now is try it and see how it goes but I agree the wide track suspension definitely makes more sense.

--- End quote ---
99, Something called the scrub radius is way more important than bearing torque or anything else. A line drawn through the upper and lower ball joint and projected down to the ground and a line through the tire centerline projected to the ground determine the scrub radius, and those lines should be 3/4" apart maximum. Otherwise, even with power steering, there will be problems. The dish on your wheel will not fix it, the tire and knuckles are still in the same place. In some cases, if the wheels can be turned easy enough, taking the car out of gear and turning the wheels left to right will produce a rearward speed of about 5MPH. Without getting into the geometry details, that is the strength of the forces that you will be against.

99Feeablo:
Found a great image that explains how spacers affect torque and arm on wheel bearings as well as wheel offsets. Hope this helps anyone, it sure did me.

RT:
I see that you know what you are doing.  Go for it.
What I wrote is still good info for those that are not familiar with that issue.
I hope those builders will read that and maybe have a better idea how to get it right.

RT

99Feeablo:
RT
   I totally understand what your saying about the centerline and geometry and all, but here’s the thing I’m putting different wheels on the old wheels are more of a deep dish where is the new ones the actual mounting point is farther outboard, so the centerline of the actual tire never changes in the wheel well only the point at which the wheel mates to the spacer. So in it’s turning arc should be the same... I think, lol. I’m sure you’ve done more research on this than me. All I can do for now is try it and see how it goes but I agree the wide track suspension definitely makes more sense.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version