Author Topic: custom axles  (Read 11728 times)

76mx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 358
  • Member Rating Points: +16/-0
Re: custom axles
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2013, 10:34:54 AM »
Let me try to explain this again. I went to O'Reileys and asked to use the A-! Cardone reference books (They are used to strange requests from me). These are two volumes of about three inches thick each listing all of the C-V axles in the world. Knowing that the Corvette hub was 28 spline, I first eliminated down to all axles with this outer joint. Then I narrowed  down to all axles that were a reasonable length, which eliminated Blazer and others. Now I know that there are several styles of inner joint and the Audi uses the flange type. I then shortened the list to this inner joint. Three hours later I had the list mentioned earlier of the axles. They are all BMW full size cars. Look in the salvage yards all you want, these are the only axles in the world that fit all of the criteria. Unfortunately there was not a flange type on the short list with the correct bolt pattern but this was the least of my worries. I knew that Aeauto could make adapter plates for me and that the thickness of the plate could be used to fine tune the overall axle length. I also knew that he could machine the speedo sender into the plate and eliminate an addittional $120 part, which would just about pay for the plates. With my OEM pricing, those axles are $50 each brand new. Now I can do the math, a thousand bucks for custom axles and a $120 speedo sender, plus the time and effort, or a few hundred and done. This seems pretty cut and dry to me, I do not see why any other option is worth chasing, but I can tell you that those are the only axles in the world that work with all of the requirements. You are welcome to my hours of research if you would like to use it.

aeauto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 33
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2013, 09:05:09 AM »
If you are using the BMW axles contact 76mx here on the forum and he has all the information on them.

dwafford

• Liked: 1
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2013, 08:46:59 AM »
Tallon,  sorry for the late entry on this topic, but I've just joined.  Are those O-Reilly part numbers you're showing on the axles?  I've been searching since I read this thread, and I can only find BMW axles listed by year/model.  I need somehow to correlate the numbers you've shown so I'll know what to search for (used, of course!).  Thanks!

aeauto

« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2013, 07:29:16 PM »
No,  I don't think it will fit the C4 hub.  I use it with the Mazda hub in a Thunderbird knuckle.  Yes. I make that shifter.  Email me for details and price. eric@kitcarchassis.com

Burello

• Liked: 0
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2013, 04:18:18 PM »
Does the RX7 outer CV fit the C4 hub? Also, did you make that shifter? I'd be interested in that, as well. I really like the brackets it utilizes.

aeauto

« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2013, 02:53:45 PM »
That photo is mine.  The axle is from a second generation RX7 turbo.

Burello

« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2013, 11:58:15 AM »
I'm using the Audi 016. I just found this image on Google which appears to show the Audi transaxle and the same inner CV as that from the Chevy. Eric (below) could make the adapter between the CV and the transaxle. So, I guess it really only comes down to finding the longer shaft (insert "that's what she said" joke here :) ) or finding a shaft that has the correct splines on both ends to replace the inner Chevy CV with either an Audi or Porsche one. I'm fine with either option, but I think simply finding the longer shaft to work with both the Chevy inner and outer CVs would be easier and just have the adapter made.

aeauto

« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2013, 11:24:35 AM »
You are going to have a hard time finding anything as long as it looks like you will need.  I would start with the C5/C6 Corvette.  Other than that the only thing I can think of that might be long enough would be the full size BMW or Audi cars.  You might try these guys http://www.dansperformanceparts.com/buggy/trans/buggytran1.htm
and see if those axles will have the right spline and you can use a 930 CV joint at the transmission.  What transmission are you using?

Burello

« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2013, 10:29:59 AM »
Thank you. I thought that might be the case. I will try to visit the wrecking yard tomorrow and see if I can find a longer center section that will fit. Any idea which cars I might start looking at?

aeauto

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2013, 11:22:26 PM »
If you can find an axle that has the right splines to fit the inner spyder of the Blazer CV joint you can use it.  Those spline sizes are pretty universal so there should be one available.  You don't want an adapter 8 inches long.

Burello

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2013, 10:00:37 PM »
Completely by chance, a friend had the front half shafts from a 1993 Chevy Blazer laying around in his garage. So, those came free :) They fit the Corvette C4 hubs perfectly, but they are short, and I'm thinking they are too short to make the adapter at the transaxle end (almost 8" shy). If I'm wrong, let me know. I've attached photos of the Blazer's axle next to the C4's outer end (disregard the slip yoke attached to it - that was another idea).
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 11:43:05 AM by Burello »

76mx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 358
  • Member Rating Points: +16/-0
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2013, 01:56:30 PM »
Tallon,
   Listen to what Dinner and Eric are telling you. I am the customer that Eric is referring to. After also getting a quote from The Driveshaft Shop, I spent about three hours at the local O'reileys going through every CV axle ever made. Knowing that the Corvette hub was 28 splines, I looked for this end with a flange style other end. The bolt pattern on the flange did not matter, I knew that an adapter plate would be a lot less than custom axles. I found that full size BMW axles were the solution and available in various lengths as follows.
60-1319   21 3/8
60-1429   25
60-3027   18 1/4
60-6012   20 1/2
60-6281   27
60-9034   22 1/16
60-9037   22 11/16
60-9063   22 7/16
60-9120   24 5/16
60-9127   24 1/4
60-9272   26 1/4
   As Dinner said, they are under $75 and are a healthy axle. Find one that is close and have Eric make up the difference with his plates. While you are at it have him machine the speedo sprocket sensor into the adapter and take the $120 that you saved on that part and it should cover the total axle cost. Now spend a few hundred with Eric and you are done. No fabricating, simple, economical, and easy.
There is an article that I wrote in Kitcar Builder Magazine a few issues ago about those hubs and some of this.

Burello

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2013, 07:01:10 PM »
Thank you. I just emailed you, but I'm posting here, as well, in case anyone else needs this info. I'm not sure of the proper measuring points, but from the Audi transaxle mounting flange to the area of the C4 hub I'm pointing at in the attached picture is 27". I'll post part numbers and pics when installed.

aeauto

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2013, 09:48:43 AM »
There are several axles that will work depending on the length you need.  Email me at eric@kitcarchassis.com and I can send you a list of numbers.

Burello

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2013, 01:18:08 AM »
Any chance you could tell me the BMW make/model and/or part number for the shafts that are used for this setup? Thanks.