Author Topic: Mitch's MR2 LP640 Roadster build.  (Read 76895 times)

MDMurcy2

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 54
  • Member Rating Points: +6/-0
Re: Mitch's MR2 LP640 Roadster build.
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2012, 10:38:55 AM »
Heres a few close ups of the body.   I searched the body everywhere for the "voids" that I was warned about.   I put high intensity lights all around the outside and searched it from the inside for bubbles or pockets.  The only thing I found was on the sharp edges.  The gel coat made the corners but there were voids behind them where the fiberglass didn't fill.   I took a chisel and hammer to the entire body and all the edges and hammered it intently without missing a square inch.  I had a lot of voids on the edges but none were found in the panels of the body.

Keep dreamin if you want to, I'm building mine!  And I'm almost done!

MDMurcy2

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2012, 10:31:02 AM »
I purchased my body from CKI "Car Kit Inc." in Alabama.   In my opinion, I got exactly what I paid for.   Its not the best body, but the service and help I recieved from Jackie was second to none.   He answered all my questions, showed me around the place and let me talk to his guys.  He gave me a ton of stuff extra for free that wasnt even in the agreement.  And all my parts were there and on time when I picked them up.   The body I can admit could use a better attention to detail, but unless mine was "one of the lucky ones", mine wasnt very bad at all.   Simple bodywork can correct 90 percent of the problems.   

Heres a few pics picking it up on trailer April 2011. 

MDMurcy2

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2012, 10:24:48 AM »
Wow, got a long list of pics to post up.  I'll be taking some time to repost the entire build so far, so please bare with me.  Alot of you have kept up with my build already so I hope it doesnt get boring seeing it posted again.  I'll post everything I have like this is a new and fresh build thread, and I'll also try to find new pics. 

Thanks for the support!

No Bull

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • Liked: 299
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
  • Replication is the sincerest form of flattery
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 09:16:55 PM »
Different strokes for different folks...

Bashing will not be tolerated and the only grey area that I worry about is providing feedback for safety aspects of a build.  Regardless of any feelings that might get hurt, I really want everyone including their friends and family members that will ride in these cars to be safe.  There is a polite and gentle way to make these suggestions and I was handed one of these gifts on another site that pertained to my inner door bracing.  It was provided in a private message and it totally made me rethink my engineering and netted an improved an much safer design.  It's important that these cars look good, but they also need to be structurally sound underneath.  If this offends someone who mistakes it as an attack of their craftsmanship, I apologize now and this will never never my intent.

Thanks,

Chris

Tallon

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Liked: 186
  • Member Rating Points: +18/-5
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 09:00:14 PM »
Silly? No way I always can't wait to see your progress.
I went to automotive school for a year and a half just recently and still don't know anything about cars and feel the same way when people are talking about them and I have no idea.
But I have learned more on here with you guys than I have ever learned in school lol that's how money hungry everyone is.
Yet it doesn't cost anything to come here and learn.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 09:04:14 PM by Tallon »

MDMurcy2

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 07:31:53 PM »
thanks......but to be clear.....no one has ever bashed anything I did.   Its just sometimes I see everyone's frame designs, awesome interiors, suspensions, engines and all that, and I feel so overwhelmed by the simplicity of all that I have been doing.....I guess I just don't know all that much about all this and this is my first build....so I just feel like such a simpleton.  LOL.   

Again,  at least most of you members that I see here have posted on my build threads and all have been so very helpful.  I am grateful for such an opportunity to build with all of you and be a part of this site.   

usmc_butler

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Liked: 418
  • Member Rating Points: +33/-0
  • Mafia Productions
    • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 07:22:34 PM »
Murci I want to be the first to say this forum will NOT be like the others. There will be no bashing if something is done different then someone else will do it. There is NO wrong way to do something, just different ways. Everyone is here for motivation and support, maybe some joking and to answer questions of you have any, oh and learn (that's why we are all here right?!) we are all looking forward to see your build and provide support until you finnish the build...!

MDMurcy2

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 07:08:16 PM »
This is great another build diary.  Do you have a link to your other thread everyone is talking about?  I haven’t seen it :-[.  I recently purchased a John Watson and would love to see what you have done to the MR2. I’m also considering using an MR2 but the 3rd generation; do you think that is possible?

Thanks all of you.....l am glad you all enjoy my build....

And not to sound negative, because I do try my best, but I dont have a build even remotely as complex as some of you.   Mad skills.....not me.....thats you guys.....I just never say I cant do something.....I give every thing I do my best effort.   You guys are awesome!   Sometimes I feel silly posting my work because so many of you have done some amazing things building up the same parts, and mine seem so simple.   Like I said....Im confident in my work, my welds are good, body is straight and solid.....but Geometry, spring rates, engine talk, motor and computer electronics......hah....I can hardly keep my weed eater running.   

Thanks for the support guys......yall are great!   

And at autopro.......I post everything I have about my MR2 build,  But I couldnt imagine anything I did someone would get inspiration from.  But feel free to ask me for anything.....If I can help, I will.   

Mitch

autopro

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • Liked: 1204
  • Member Rating Points: +43/-1
  • Tijuana/San Diego
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 09:47:06 AM »
This is great another build diary.  Do you have a link to your other thread everyone is talking about?  I haven’t seen it :-[.  I recently purchased a John Watson and would love to see what you have done to the MR2. I’m also considering using an MR2 but the 3rd generation; do you think that is possible?
Pedro

usmc_butler

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Liked: 418
  • Member Rating Points: +33/-0
  • Mafia Productions
    • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 08:02:51 AM »
Welcome MDMurcy, glad to see you over here! Ive tracked your build for a few months on the other forum and you do great work and waste no time getting it done! I wish I had your motivation...!

No Bull

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • Liked: 299
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
  • Replication is the sincerest form of flattery
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 06:33:17 AM »
Hey guys, I'll be starting my build thread here.   Many of you here are already familiar with my build and have been very helpful on the forums with great advice during my build. 

I am building my LP640 Roadster on a 91 MR2.   Its a non turbo model, 5 speed manual.   Great running, great condition doner car, so I anticipate to have a reliable build when this is completed.   

I'll be posting up my pics as soon as I get things in order.   

Thanks for the invite and great to see alot of you guys are already here. 

Mitch

Mitch... a true example of what can be accomplished in a year when you stick to it and have mad skills.  :) 

Welcome aboard my friend and your build diary will be enjoyed by many here (including me!).

Chris

jb1

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 0
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 03:09:55 AM »
followed  your build on other sites.  Look forward to seeing it here..

MDMurcy2

Mitch's MR2 LP640 Roadster build.
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 10:16:46 PM »
Hey guys, I'll be starting my build thread here.   Many of you here are already familiar with my build and have been very helpful on the forums with great advice during my build. 

I am building my LP640 Roadster on a 91 MR2.   Its a non turbo model, 5 speed manual.   Great running, great condition doner car, so I anticipate to have a reliable build when this is completed.   

I'll be posting up my pics as soon as I get things in order.   

Thanks for the invite and great to see alot of you guys are already here. 

Mitch