Author Topic: OEM exact dimension replica parts - ABS 3D Printer  (Read 3937 times)

eddie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 286
  • Member Rating Points: +19/-2
Re: OEM exact dimension replica parts - ABS 3D Printer
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2013, 01:55:49 PM »
my son who works for a Canadian Government that lends and assist financialy company ( that will produce work for people)

told me, there's a company outside Toronto that do some kind of Nano metal coating on pastic parts that are use mainly in Aero space and  Military,  what they do, some parts are so small that are very hard to CNC ,so it is made of plastic and then coated with that.
some of those machines cost milions of Dollars.

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2013, 09:26:08 AM »
Do they accept Cash or Plastic?   ::headbang

Jim
20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

Jackal

• Vigilante builder
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 5
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
  • Everything is about physics .... even physics!
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 11:59:01 PM »
 8) Put me down for 3 of those machines please.

Riceburner98

• Liked: 1
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 11:11:37 PM »
We have a Dimension Elite printer at work that I get to use every day..  I don't know what I'd do without it, no way I could machine 1/4 of the parts I print.  Geometries that are basically unmachinable but work great printed.  We've had a few parts printed by an outside shop in steel; no autoclave needed, just comes out of the machine and they snip / grind off the support material.  Called Selective Laser Sintering, or various other things (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_metal_laser_sintering), it directly fuses metal powder layer by layer with a bigass laser.  The steel part had great detail and was printed perfectly.  An aluminum housing on the other hand looked like fused worm poop..  :)  Different place (German) printed that though so I don't know what machine they used.  Only down-side is the machines are $650,000-ish from what I hear, so the parts aren't cheap!

I hear NASA is 3d printing rough Titanium parts kind of like castings, then finish machining them like normal.  Waaay cheaper than machining it from a giant billet of Titanium!  From what I heard they basically deposit it with something like a CNC MIG welder using Ti wire.  Looks nasty at first but machines up nice.

apsara

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • Liked: 32
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-1
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 12:07:37 PM »
The metal printing cnc won't be selling for 350, the printed parts require an autoclave to finish the parts.  The smallest autoclave you can get is around $15,000-$20,000.  The parts need to be baked in an oven and air pumped out of it.  The problem with printing those parts are that there are air voids trapped in the print, additional metal material is added after.  The gold color dust you see in the video is bronze or brass i forget which one.  when heated its printed parts suck all bronze in to the air voids and making the part as one.  Going this route is way more expensive

I'm designing a metal deposit laser cnc for this area too.  Should have one up and running by the summer.  The way it works is it shoots fine aluminum dust in to an helium air stream, the laser heats up the metal and the aluminum dust fuses to the area where the laser beam hits and keeps building it up layer after layer.  much like a plastic 3d printer would do but using a laser.  I'm trying to target the price around $3,000 and under for the complete setup for a 2'x4' machine, than you guys can actually print out lambo engines lol

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 10:51:47 AM »
Page #2:  Just in case you were wondering, yes, they are making parts with a Metal 3-D printer also.  Stainless powder is bonded with a joining glue from the "printer".  After each run of the printer appyling the bonding agent, another layer of stainless sand 1/2 mil thick is spread across the project.  The printer repeats the bonding agent layer etc.  Watch and learn.  I'm impressed.  I figure that they will be for sale on Ebay in 2 years for $350.  I hope!  Fasten your seatbelts, gentlemen.  Our hobby is turning a corner at a very fast light speed.    Jim

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GI9Bw48liY
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 10:57:48 AM by 01Lambiero »
Retired

usmc_butler

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Liked: 418
  • Member Rating Points: +33/-0
  • Mafia Productions
    • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 08:02:19 AM »

Tallon

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Liked: 186
  • Member Rating Points: +18/-5
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 07:01:45 AM »
NICE!

No Bull

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • Liked: 299
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
  • Replication is the sincerest form of flattery
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 11:51:12 PM »
Ok guys.. save your money so you can send it to me and I'll print it in my new 3D printer that I ordered tonight.   ::toothy

http://cubify.com/cubex/index.aspx?tb_cubex_learn

This set me back a little over $3,000 but it has a huge print bed that will allow me to print about anything that we need for our cars.  :)

I'll post something in the Services section of the site also.  I need some time to receive it (almost $400 to ship the thing to me) and some time to get it set up and learn about it a little more.. then I'm willing to print parts for you guys to help pay for the darn thing.  In case you are wondering I didn't buy this just to print parts for the Lambo's, I'm a novice inventor and I have a couple provisional patents that I need to build prototypes for.

I'm thinking of investing in a 3D scanner once my bank account recovers from tonights purchase and this will allow me to scan parts sent to me and clone them in PVC.  If you have something in CAD or Sketchup format, I can print from this.  The bed on this printer is over 10.5" x 10.5" which should handle most small to medium sized parts.

More to come and PM me if you'd like to talk about lining up a project.

Chris
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 11:56:29 PM by No Bull »

lance345

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 18
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 07:26:41 PM »
This was like a grenade in my head. Mind. Blown. I am definitely researching these things. Now my biggest concern - which one will ship to the great white north.

I can only imagine how much you would save making your own buttons, switches, interior handles. I honestly think this would pay itself off in 1 build (assuming you get a $700 one or something, not that 2k one). Thank you so much for posting this.

usmc_butler

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Liked: 418
  • Member Rating Points: +33/-0
  • Mafia Productions
    • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 02:23:12 PM »
Ive been tossing around getting one from this company for the last couple weeks. US made, good warranty and start at $499  ::headbang

http://www.solidoodle.com/

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
OEM exact dimension replica parts - ABS 3D Printer
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 01:55:03 PM »
Members all.  It doesn't take a genius to figure out that OEM scale replica parts are almost ready to be made in your own home.  ABS 3D printers are very advanced already.  Many videos are already on Youtube.  Use your imagination as to the use that you could benefit out of one of these.  Molds, plugs, solid parts, hollow parts, the list goes on.  I would think that softer more flexible plastics would be forthcoming also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Q6Uj_BgvthY
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 02:00:42 PM by 01Lambiero »
Retired