Author Topic: SPAL fans  (Read 1485 times)

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
Re: SPAL fans
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 10:26:09 AM »
I would think that shrouding the front of the radiators would limit natural air flow as in open road driving when the fans are not in use.  Either way, your cooling system should handle the heat.  Jim
20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

jdinner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 25
  • Member Rating Points: +6/-0
    • KwikerCars
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 04:13:27 AM »
The fan that I recommended as a pusher is rated at 22 amps
http://www.spalusa.com/store/main.aspx?p=itemdetail&item=30102045
See the technical data.
Some people say you don't need to shroud a pusher but I ended up doing so. You could try it without a shroud and add it later if needed. It is much easier to shroud the front of the rad than the back after car is built.

norcaldiablo

• Liked: 0
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 06:36:47 PM »
It is the exact one you said to get!  13".  18.5 amps.  They have 2 other 13" fans but they are each 9.7 and 6.7 amps. They do not have a 20 amp fan until they get to the 16" diameter fans (which is too large for the radiators suggested).

On a related topic, I have read that you do not need a shroud for a pusher fan. True?

I have not yet installed the radiators, but with the car design, do you suggest pushers or pullers( understanding that the puller would actually be at the rearmost of the car/radiator).

Thanks again. ::salute

Phil

jdinner

• Liked: 25
  • Member Rating Points: +6/-0
    • KwikerCars
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 03:07:18 PM »
Great deal!  What is the amperage?
Make sure the amperage is around 20 amps or simply won't push enough air. 

norcaldiablo

• Liked: 0
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
SPAL fans
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 09:25:14 AM »
A while ago I asked Jim Dinner what fans to use on my Diablo. He was great at getting right back to me with the SPAL fans and their web site.  THANKS Jim!

On the web site they sell for $187. I was at Good Guys yesterday and found "The Fanman". They are out of southern California. They are a SPAL distributor, and the EXACT same fan for $178 they sell for $99 !

Since I need 2, a cool $150 plus, savings!!!  But of course, all you other guys just rolling in the cash building these cars won't need to bother getting hold of them at 866-435-6477. ;)