Author Topic: bmw v12 850 question  (Read 7584 times)

mid engine 850

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 0
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
Re: bmw v12 850 question
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2014, 11:28:06 PM »
what engine management are you using, OE?????

PICS!!!!!!

I would like to see that
yes I am using the OE management, since there is nothing wrong with it, I'll use the two DME and EML.
I am not sure of which transaxle i want to use, yet.

AdrianBurton

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 202
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2014, 09:19:27 PM »
what engine management are you using, OE?????

PICS!!!!!!

I would like to see that

mid engine 850

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2014, 08:51:11 PM »
I know this is an older thread, but If you need any help with your project. please feel free to PM me
Hello Adrian
I am working on a mid engine 1993 BMW 850ci basically. bolted to a audi or porsche transaxle. I am not 100% on that yet.

AdrianBurton

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2014, 08:14:56 PM »
Mid engine
Welcome to the forum

Might I ask, what you're working on?
details, pictures and stuff

mid engine 850

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2014, 07:52:22 PM »
I know this is an older thread, but If you need any help with your project. please feel free to PM me

AdrianBurton

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 09:11:21 AM »

Here is the one that I make

fastbusa

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 03:51:19 PM »
you just saved me hours and hours of headach...thank you so much...not many people out there would have gave that up...thanks alot...thanks to a stand up guy i have never met ::beers

jdinner

• Liked: 25
  • Member Rating Points: +6/-0
    • KwikerCars
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 05:21:28 AM »
Here is an article I wrote on how to setup the V12 with the Haltech system.
http://jimdinner.wordpress.com/2012/07/26/haltech-setup-step-by-step/

Here is how to wire it with the stock computers;
http://stweb.peelschools.org/sssweb/TTI-WEB/cars/BMW%20750%20V12.doc

Here is how to make your own adapter plate;
http://stweb.peelschools.org/sssweb/TTI-WEB/cars/Adapter%20Notes%20and%20Tips.doc

Tusabes

• Liked: 127
  • Member Rating Points: +8/-2
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 04:24:29 AM »
Sounds great
Can't wait to see it come together

Only a few BMW v12 kits are actually running driving cars . Most are garage basket cases that might fire up but cannot run or drive

Jdinner is the expert on this , good luck it's not easy !

fastbusa

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 11:27:46 PM »
thanks for the reply..I have a complete low milage engine v12.. Im useing a audi newer transaxle for the driveline.I was just wondering about the managment system..I talked to jdinner and have made up my mine to go with a haltech 2000 system..I purchased my car at a great deal it is a tubular chassis naerc diablo replica. It just needed finished.The man i got it from spent 7 years on it and lost interest. Im in love with the car and ready to get it on the road..Im putting twin turbos on the car with small boost..maybe 6 or 7 pounds. really just wanting to make about 450 hp at the tire...I love the ls engines but just wanted something a little differ...thanks

tonypaul

• Liked: 54
  • Member Rating Points: +7/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 09:59:17 PM »
What are you going to be putting the BMW drivetrain into? I couldnt seeing the 850's drivetrain fitting into a mid-engine replica due to its lenght...

I own a BMW 850i (auto-trans) and can tell you that the engine managment has almost two of everything and is pretty picky. Tons of factory wires and sensors that would much more difficult to swap into something else. Unless you are dead set on the BMW V12, I would recommend going with some other option for a drivetrain. Athough the BMW v12 is a good motor it just doesnt have the power that most people think it has. The parts are super expensive, and the performance upgrades are limited and even more expensive. In the end it doesnt really sound like an real Lamborghini V12, I have heard some v6's that sounded closer to a real Lambo. If you could get the BMW V12 and BMW trans to fit in a mid engine replica, the cost for a stand alone, custom axles, brakes, suspension, tuning, exhaust, ect, would cost alot... Not even taking in consideration any parts like waterpump, distributor caps, spart plug wires, ect that needs updated/replaced at the time of swap....

Im running Microsquirt on my LS4 and a stand alone trans controller for my paddleshifted 4t65ehd in my Lamborghini Diablo Roadster replica which was way easier (for me) to use than using the factory LS4 ecu and wiring harness. So to me it would make more sense to look into a stand alone managment system.

I would recommend looking into this: http://www.diyautotune.com/ms3-pro.html to run the BMW V12, but it comes at a price and not much if any support to aid you in getting it to work on the BMW V12.

Im not trying to discourge you in your quest, Im just trying to relay my "thoughts" from someone who has been there. As a person who has built a replica, I know what it took for me to complete mine ($$$) and not get overwhelmed and loose interest after you get started and end up with a unfinished project and $30k or $40k spent that you will never get back.

My advice- get the best replica kit you can, its going to cost more in the begining but be so much more worth it later in the build. Find a decent Fiero or other decent donar, find a good 3800 v6, either with the supercharger or perhaps add a turbo.
The aftermarket is very large as well as support with the v6 and much cheaper to build. Put all the money your going to save from the v12 and put into bodywork, paint, interior,ect, you will have a much more reliable, powerfull, and most important- a completed project sooner. And with the right exhaust on the 3800 a great sounding ride....

Just my opinion~

fastbusa

bmw v12 850 question
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 01:12:16 PM »
I have a v12 setup out of a 850 with a manual trans from the factory..My question is would it be easier to use the computers from this car because of the manual trans in the bmw to start with or are they the same as a 750 with a auto...I was going with a standalone which seams a lot easier...what are your thoughts...thanks