Author Topic: How important is Power steering on a Fiero build?  (Read 2635 times)

AdrianBurton

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 202
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
Re: How important is Power steering on a Fiero build?
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2018, 08:34:35 AM »
post it here too, it might help others

minihawn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 84
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2018, 07:41:46 PM »
minihawn,

If you want to go the easiest and cheapest way (electronic power steering) just shoot me a PM, I'll help you out
sent
Fate has no choice

ardillo lambo

• Liked: 9
  • Member Rating Points: +2/-0
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2018, 02:17:46 PM »
minihawn,

If you want to go the easiest and cheapest way (electronic power steering) just shoot me a PM, I'll help you out

RT

• Liked: 308
  • Member Rating Points: +28/-0
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2018, 10:35:14 PM »
minihawn...
I really couldn't tell you what it would cost to add power steering to your Fiero.  My build uses a Chevy LT1 and I used the power steering pump on that along with a Camaro power steering rack.  I had long hydraulic lines made to reach the front from the mid-engine.
As ardillo lambo said, he recommends a Saturn electric assist power steering.
Maybe some others who have done this could help here.
Either way, it will require some creative adapting but that is what these builds are about.
You can do it!

RT
It isn't enough to want a Lambo, you have to want to BUILD A CAR.

minihawn

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2018, 09:07:24 PM »
minihawn...
If you intend to use the proper tire size on the front that are the same as a real Lambo, the tires will have a much larger patch contact to the pavement.  While you are moving, it shouldn't be too hard to steer BUT when you are barely moving, such as when you are parking or doing any slow speed maneuvering, you may find it takes a lot of effort to turn those tires.
It is always nice to treat yourself to the best when you build.  It is up to you to weigh the work and cost for the advantage power steering will give you.

Also I'd like to add, if you are using spacers to put the tires out to the fenders, that can cause the tires to travel through an arc as you turn.  This could require more steering effort AND while you are driving, the tires "hanging out there" can really feedback to the steering wheel when they hit a bump.  Power steering will dampen that effect.

RT

Thanks RT you would be able to give me a ball park on price. Would you. I’m sure it depends on how much I do myself. Let’s say I’m doing 75% of the work. Also is it a “hard” task? Or labor intensive
Fate has no choice

AdrianBurton

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 202
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 04:46:09 PM »
quick way to tell is to check your scrub radius
the further away from 0* the more help you will need

https://www.racingaspirations.com/scrub-radius/

RT

• Liked: 308
  • Member Rating Points: +28/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 08:31:40 PM »
minihawn...
If you intend to use the proper tire size on the front that are the same as a real Lambo, the tires will have a much larger patch contact to the pavement.  While you are moving, it shouldn't be too hard to steer BUT when you are barely moving, such as when you are parking or doing any slow speed maneuvering, you may find it takes a lot of effort to turn those tires.
It is always nice to treat yourself to the best when you build.  It is up to you to weigh the work and cost for the advantage power steering will give you.

Also I'd like to add, if you are using spacers to put the tires out to the fenders, that can cause the tires to travel through an arc as you turn.  This could require more steering effort AND while you are driving, the tires "hanging out there" can really feedback to the steering wheel when they hit a bump.  Power steering will dampen that effect.

RT
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 08:36:05 PM by RT »
It isn't enough to want a Lambo, you have to want to BUILD A CAR.

minihawn

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 07:34:59 PM »
Thank you, anyone else care to chime in?
Fate has no choice

ardillo lambo

• Liked: 9
  • Member Rating Points: +2/-0
Re: Power steering on a Fiero
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 01:50:15 PM »
not really. But if you still want to have it, I'll recommend EPS instead of the conventional PS

You can go to pull a part junk yard and get the steering rack  and the eletronic power steering for under $100 from a 2003-2006 saturn vue, you can control the amount of effort via speed sensor

minihawn

How important is Power steering on a Fiero build?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 01:13:05 PM »
Hi guys I have a question regarding power steering on a fiero build. Is it worth it? Thanks guys
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 07:05:03 PM by minihawn »
Fate has no choice