Author Topic: SS Brake Lines (leaks at fittings after installation)  (Read 1338 times)

Simple Man

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: SS Brake Lines (leaks at fittings after installation)
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2018, 04:15:08 AM »
I changed out the steel lines with stainless in my late  50's classic and had zero problems.  I can only hope that the fiero has the same result.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 04:17:46 AM by Simple Man »

76mx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 358
  • Member Rating Points: +16/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 10:01:23 PM »
O1, I have not had much success with stainless, and I have tried several versions of single and double flared. Only after putting what seems like way way too much torque for a very small wrench can I sometimes make them seal. Check out technafit.com and their nylon/braided lines. Every joint is now an AN fitting. A couple hundred bucks will get you a complete DOT stamped system. Talk to Chris, 317-350-2153. 

xmanwolfy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 1
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2018, 12:15:30 PM »
I am working on a 1957 Chevy Bel Air and after threading them in and resetting them several times they broke in to where they are sealed.

https://koultools.com/fix-leaky-brake-line-fittings/

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
SS Brake Lines (leaks at fittings after installation)
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 10:11:46 AM »
My 04 Silverado (188K miles) rusted thru 2 weeks ago.  I found a youtube how to change the lines.  The man doing the repair purchased a set of SS lines that were pre-bent so it should have been an easy repair.  He had to modify the bracket on the rear end housing as the line was not long enough.  After the installation was complete, he bled the system and checked for leaks.  He had at least 4-5 leaking joints.  He stated that he had properly tightened all fittings during the installation but still had the leaks.  He retightened the leakers and he was going to recheck them later.  I think that the OEM steel lines tend to seal better than the SS lines.  I purchased a complete set of Delco pre-bent steel lines that are vinyl covered on Ebay for under $70.  Wish me an easy installation.  So much rust, so little time. ::thumbup  Anybody else had trouble with SS lines leaking?

20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired