How To - Tips > Glass

Would you buy perfect glass Murci replacement lenses at $900 a set?

(1/3) > >>

No Bull:

--- Quote from: SchulzeA on July 17, 2015, 07:17:07 PM ---Chris, will the lenses be pressed or injection molded? Will the manufacturer use molds made by another company?

--- End quote ---

I haven't seen the process up close but it appears to be a two part mold that they squeeze the hot glass between and then trim / finish by hand while it's still hot.  Whether they drop the glass into the mold or they inject it somehow is something I need to learn more about.  I'm also assuming that they would need some sort of ejector pin system to eject the part once it's cooled enough.  I'm also not sure if the mold has additional cooling that keeps the mold at a consistent temp. or if they do this manually.  The molds that I bought for my other project are like small machines within themselves and they have internal cooling and injector pins but are also for plastic injection.

Thanks for asking

Chris

SchulzeA:
Chris, will the lenses be pressed or injection molded? Will the manufacturer use molds made by another company?

No Bull:

--- Quote from: INSPIREcomposite on July 17, 2015, 11:48:11 AM ---chris, why cant aluminum molds be machined, and using resin casting + finish polishing to clear the surface of the lens work?

--- End quote ---

I need to trust the professionals on this one but from what I'm told they can make molds from cast iron, aluminum, steel, stainless steel etc.  They suggested stainless because it would stand up best to the constant heat from the glass while it's being press molded, holds and allows for better control of the heat and has has the best tendency to hold a precise shape which ensures quality parts with minimal flaws. 

A stainless steel mold would allow for a thousand pulls without requiring rework.  I doubt very much that more than 250 sets of these lenses would ever be sold given that a little more than 4,000 Murcie's were built.  You need to factor in the manufacturing scrap costs which might justify a stainless mold even if a mold capable of a thousand pulls is more expensive up front but saves money down the road by producing a better part and with less scrap.  This is really a case of economics and quality for me and even if I can make a little profit on the project, I won't do it unless the parts are perfect because my name will be associated with each one.

Great question and I had asked them the same thing.   8)

Chris 

INSPIREcomposite (BANNED):
chris, why cant aluminum molds be machined, and using resin casting + finish polishing to clear the surface of the lens work?

01Lambiero:
Glass lenses would make the build move to the elite division as far as finishing touches goes.  But with the declining market for Murcie parts, I don't think that it would make good business sense to start making them now.  Aventador seems to be the market now until the giant returns and steps on it.  If I owned an OEM, I'm sure that my insurance company would replace my broken lenses with oem replacements, I hope.  Glass can be polished with rubbing compound so may not need replacing for road wear.  Just don't follow a gravel hauler or dump truck.  Put adhesive stone shield over the glass lenses.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version