Build Diaries > Aventador

Aventador Build

<< < (2/7) > >>

Jets303:
I see! Yea I figured you weren't done with the mount point but I know Inland Exotics (when they were around) used to use that same spot to mount the hinge and it wasn't nearly as strong! I used 1/4'' plate and triangulated

Tank size should reflect how much welding you do. Smaller tanks don't put out any less gas, just less time at that rate. If the weld is making good penetration then you should be fine but esthetically, once poweder-coated or painted, the gas shielded mig welds just dress up better!

My rear is a 500lb rate. It is a little higher but I wanted a slightly stiffer feel since this will be a track car. The fronts are 275lbs each and feel a little soft. The car is close to full weight and it handles ok. I may end up adding bags up front so that could help dialing in.

If you run this motor, run the 6 speed manual with it!

LP700-4:

--- Quote from: Jets303 on October 10, 2022, 08:50:01 AM ---Hey Glenn, great work so far! Would like to lend some advice if that's ok?

1) The cross bar that appears to be for the hinge mount under your front fender is too thin. It looks like 1''x3''x 1/8th wall. I used the same thing on my Murcielago build years ago and it flexed bad. You'll need a 3/16th wall or triangulate it somehow.
2) You need to turn up the heat on your welds. You have too much wire speed and not enough penetration. I would also suggest getting a gas setup and turning the heat up. Flux core is supposed to be for a quick, down and dirty weld. You'll want shielding gas to avoid getting any impurities in the welds!

--- End quote ---

Thank you and advice is always welcome!!

* Good eye, that cross bar is 1" x 3" x .120" wall however, it only supports the windshield and will be braced more once I start cutting up the 3/6' plate steel. I am using OEM hinges and they mount further back on the body. See below for a photo of what I mean. I will need to figure out how to brace it as it is out in space at the moment.
* Thanks for the advice on the welds. My welder is capable of gas welding. I would need to get a new hose as mine broke at some point and a tank. How big of a tank should I get? I have a small tank here from many years ago.  As for the heat, I did have it hotter at one point but must of accidently changed a setting at some point. I'll also slow down the wire speed some. The last photo is one of the last welds I did yesterday with the heat turned back up. I like doing things right so if I need to grind these down and weld them again I will or I can fly you out here to weld it for me :)
Again, thank you for the help and suggestions.

If you don't mind, I also have a question. What are you running for spring rates in the front and rear and what angle are you coilovers at? I plan to run the same engine/trans combo.

Jets303:
Hey Glenn, great work so far! Would like to lend some advice if that's ok?

1) The cross bar that appears to be for the hinge mount under your front fender is too thin. It looks like 1''x3''x 1/8th wall. I used the same thing on my Murcielago build years ago and it flexed bad. You'll need a 3/16th wall or triangulate it somehow.
2) You need to turn up the heat on your welds. You have too much wire speed and not enough penetration. I would also suggest getting a gas setup and turning the heat up. Flux core is supposed to be for a quick, down and dirty weld. You'll want shielding gas to avoid getting any impurities in the welds!

LP700-4:
Finally got the chassis back to where I was several months ago before all the modifications were made.

https://youtu.be/1RceG6ObapU

LP700-4:
Spend the weekend working on the fiberglass roof section. Running into a few problems getting everything to line up

https://youtu.be/yXYTvVm7eX8

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version