Author Topic: Door Hinges - The different types.  (Read 17549 times)

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
Re: Door Hinges - The different types.
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 01:59:27 AM »
My $0.02  The further away your bushings are from the center of the hinge pin, the less side movement you will have at your latch.

Jim
20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

dayablo

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 01:19:08 PM »
I'm no expert but that is exactly the way I would do it.  Seems to make the most sense to me.

SchulzeA

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 11:22:59 PM »
Is the pivot pin held in place on the center bushing, where the pin actually rotates inside the outer bushings? I made mine with set screws on the outter bushings with a grease zirk on the center bushing, allowing the center bushing to rotate around the pin... I figured it would be better to have more rotating surface area.

usmc_butler

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Liked: 418
  • Member Rating Points: +33/-0
  • Mafia Productions
    • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 08:52:41 AM »
This is all great info, I had no idea there were so many hinges and ways to mount them...

No Bull

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • Liked: 299
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
  • Replication is the sincerest form of flattery
Door Hinges - The different types.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 06:00:27 PM »
I've posted many pictures on this topic so be sure to give your computer enough time to download everything.

There are many different types of door hinges out there.  Your choice should depend on your budget and how close you how OEM you want to remain in appearance. 

The Diablo and Murci hinges are basically the same and this is what a OEM hinge looks like:

Here are a different styles of hinges that I've seen used on replicas (some of these may not be around anymore and I don't have names of sources for these hinges)

For my build I decided to go with a set of OEM style reproduction hinges made by 01Lambiero
The following pictures will detail what is involved in making a set of these hinges work on a G28 based body.

01Lambiero makes these for both the Diablo and the G28 based Murci kits and the difference is the width of the hinge that attaches to the door.  The G28 body is more narrow than the Diablo bodies which leaves no room for a OEM sized hinge.  Here are the differences between the hinges as they are mounted to a Murci body and note the overhang in the door sill pocket that the Diablo hinge has.

Diablo sized hinge mounted onto a G28 body

Modified G28 sized hinge mounted on a G28 body

Diablo hinge dimensions

G28 hinge dimensions

The key to using any hinge is to make sure your hinge mounting plates are built strong and mounted in the correct positions.  Below are pictures of what the mounting locations would look like if you decided to go with a OEM style hinge.

If going with an OEM style hinge, instead of attaching the hinge directly to the door like some other hinges will have you do (welding or bolting) you'll need to fabricate a "hinge block" that the hinge will bolt to and the block is attached to the door.  This allows for more adjustment but more importantly it gives the hinge the right angle and step that enables the door latch to lift up and off of the catch and provides the right amount of clearance above the top of the fender once the door is in the upright position.

I made my hinge blocks by welding together six sections of 1/4" steel into a box and tapping the hinge mounting holes into the ends.

Enjoy and best of luck with your door hinges.   8)

Chris

- Many of the pictures shared were provided by others, so a big thank you goes out to those builders.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 09:26:24 PM by No Bull »