Author Topic: Personally designed Kit cars coming of age in the 21st century!  (Read 7171 times)

Purple LP670 SV

• Lambo Mafia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Liked: 649
  • Member Rating Points: +23/-0
  • Big Gulps, huh? All right! Well, see ya later.
Re: Personally designed Kit cars coming of age in the 21st century!
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2015, 09:36:18 AM »
So they can print one ready to use in 3 days, but one made from a solid piece requires heat treating????  ::scratch do you understand my confusion with this concept? I'm not simply asking this question because I'm confused but I am a Tool and Die maker and understand the properties of metal very well. I still stand by my doubts. The very confusing thing is that even if this would magically become a possibility to print an entire car you would have to print every single part individually, and individually finish each part the way it is needed, ground, heat treated etc. Notice the gun video with several ground or polished surfaced, those surfaces were not printed that way! Do you honestly think it will hold up to 5000 shots? It was simply a company showing what they are capable of, which is great, but if it blew up at shot number 51 would they include that in there video? In manufacturing people are considered to be relatively cheap as far as cost per shop hour is concerned, so the fact that it takes a printer 3 days compared to an operator 1 tells me there is still a huge gap to fill. Yes things get faster as technology develops, but if you look at a material like plastic and think "I'm gonna push the limits" and force it to print faster, you'll come to the realization that a material can only flow at a certain rate without effecting strength quality and so on!

Sorry to disappoint but 3d printing does have a huge place in manufacturing just not production!
I met a man with a dollar, we exchanged dollars and we still had a dollar. I met a man with an idea, we exchanged ideas and now we both have two ideas!!!

Bartman

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 23
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2015, 08:00:32 AM »
Purple, I would agree with you on the near term but long term progress this will be in the cards
http://inhabitat.com/heres-the-worlds-first-3d-printed-metal-gun-and-its-already-fired-50-bullets/

I think the bigger issue would be the consumables, where does the powdered metal come from? Will argon be enough to shield when making a durable part? Lots of unknowns but not insurmountable

I was at a MAJOR gas turbine manufacturer about two months ago with one of the companies I own and they were 3D printing turbine blades and testing them for durability.  They told me they could 3D print a turbine blade, ready to use in 3 days.  A machinist can make one in a day.  Plus 10 hours for heat treat process.  BUT the 3D printer requires no pay, no benefits, works 24 hrs a day, etc, etc.  It's coming, and fast.

76mx

• Liked: 358
  • Member Rating Points: +16/-0
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2015, 10:25:04 AM »
There is a webinar at 2PM-EST today by Stratasys about how Lambo is using 3-D printing to make production parts on the Aventador. Anyone can register at stratasys.com

76mx

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2015, 11:03:11 AM »
How much will it cost me to build a new Diablo ? And where can I get the kit from ....and I will love it if someone will help me the the chassis of the car...
I would appreciate your response guys... ::salute

Somewhere between $30,000 and $130,000 depending on your definition of a Diablo. It could go higher or lower, again depending on your definition. Bob at B&Bcustoms.com has a nice Diablo body kit. I can help you with the chassis for $8,000. To continue this , we should move to another thread.

collinsklin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 0
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2015, 11:16:01 PM »
How much will it cost me to build a new Diablo ? And where can I get the kit from ....and I will love it if someone will help me the the chassis of the car...
I would appreciate your response guys... ::salute

AdrianBurton

• Liked: 202
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2015, 09:05:14 AM »
Purple, I would agree with you on the near term but long term progress this will be in the cards
http://inhabitat.com/heres-the-worlds-first-3d-printed-metal-gun-and-its-already-fired-50-bullets/

I think the bigger issue would be the consumables, where does the powdered metal come from? Will argon be enough to shield when making a durable part? Lots of unknowns but not insurmountable

Purple LP670 SV

• Lambo Mafia
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2015, 07:20:11 PM »
Just please give it up....the answer is no! To print a honed or ground surface is not gonna happen anytime in the near future, to print a wiring harness, gaskets, glass, leather, foam, hardened and heat treated materials all in one won't happen. They use this method to test theories and it will never be affordable enough to make a practical car like what you see today!   It is made up of layers and layers of material that will never have the makeup of a solid molded, extruded, stamped or billet piece. Anything is possible and maybe one day I'll be proven wrong but I can guarantee you it will all be kept in check to prevent the loss of jobs! Just like electric cars, it can not be allowed to get outta hand or we would completely fall apart as a society. Just think of the jobs and cash flow that would be lost, the technology is there, the impact it would have just simply can not be absorbed!

http://gizmodo.com/why-3d-printing-is-overhyped-i-should-know-i-do-it-fo-508176750
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 10:41:43 PM by Purple LP670 SV »
I met a man with a dollar, we exchanged dollars and we still had a dollar. I met a man with an idea, we exchanged ideas and now we both have two ideas!!!

Graeme Stebbing

• Liked: 30
  • Member Rating Points: +3/-0
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2015, 07:01:21 PM »
Guys his idea is not that far off reality have a look at these
http://3dprint.com/30561/light-cocoon-edag-concept-car/
 or
http://www.discovery.com/dscovrd/tech/meet-the-blade-the-worlds-first-3-d-printed-supercar/

and if a Kiwi can print it at home in New Zealand in his garage
watch the video he shows how he did it

http://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/videos/8995908/Kiwi-3D-printing-an-Aston-Martin

It wont be long and you will be able to order a custom designed car over the web and it will be printed out and delivered, I would give it about 5 yrs.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 07:05:41 PM by lambo »

Purple LP670 SV

• Lambo Mafia
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2015, 06:22:35 PM »
My main reason for not digging any deeper on this subject was mainly because I was under the belief I was dealing with a dreamer that had no clue of the cost of such a machine! If the cost of the machine is understood, and someone please let me know if I'm way out of line, aside from the shear cost of the materials comes the reality of if it's possible. Yes they have 3d printed a very basic car etc. And yes the exterior would be a non issue, aside from it's grainy pourous surface finish you would get from a 3d printer. Which is what brings up my main point, the engine would still require several different types of metal, with different variations of Rockwell hardness, and an entire machine shop to hone, grind, and heat treat it's components! I'm not a 3d printing expert by no means, but there main purpose is to allow engineers the ability to test theories prior to releasing it to the work force or (fast prototyping). Which in no way is it as fast or as easy as the majority of people like to believe it is. In my opinion I would never get in a car with a 3d printed engine for fear the thing would surely grenade, doesn't matter what material you make it out of Billions upon Billions of cold joints is a disaster waiting to happen. Flexing springs and chassis components also come to mind.   ;)

76mx

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2015, 03:49:42 PM »
SchulzeA,
   I did not mean to suggest that he use the machine at Boeing. I am only familiar with that machine because I was in the right place at the right time when Southeast Office Systems sold it to them. I was there for a small machine. You make good points about Lambo's view of this, especially since they would be glad to provide this service their selves should a customer want it.   

jfalbino

• Liked: 12
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2015, 03:49:01 PM »
I remember seeing one at a detroit show, and one sports car. Came out nicely but I would hold some concern about Lambo coming after you. I believe your high dollar printer would wind up in Lamborghinis safe!!

SchulzeA

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Liked: 217
  • Member Rating Points: +33/-1
  • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2015, 02:27:00 PM »
It never hurts to dream. It can bring on some great ideas, but let's be honest. That type of work will not happen for many years if ever. Not to mention  ::LAMBO2 would shut you down in a heart beat. And any company capable of doing such work wouldn't risk the lawsuit if you actually did have the money to afford it.
I work for a subcontractor of Boeing, Lockheed, Northrop ect.  ::usa You won't make a phone call past the welcome desk for this project. They are not a job shop...  So please put that idea back to bed.
Once again, I'm not trying to be an A-Hole, just honest.

AdrianBurton

• Liked: 202
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2015, 12:10:11 PM »
Nothing wrong with asking the question, I guess

I do like the idea of metal printing a car, but the materials cost alone will bring real tears to your wallet.  That beign said, it would involve you developing your own printer and controllers, not to mention the cabinet to build it in , beacuse it would need to be capable of containing an inert gas ie argon

Keep us posted on your progress, keep throwing out ideas, you never know for whom it might spark an idea that could solve the one last issue cause there are quite a few minds here that would be willing to help work through the challenges or point you into the right direction

76mx

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2015, 12:05:09 PM »
Stephan,
   Yep, as I have already told you, the titanium machine that I spoke of is indeed at Boeing (with a capital B), in Marietta Georgia. They must have bought it at the demo or scratch and dent sale, it was three million plus training. 

INSPIREcomposite (BANNED)

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Liked: 108
  • Member Rating Points: +3/-0
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 11:22:01 AM »
The metal printer you are describing, that is large enough to print car bodies and frames, would cost more than 20 million dollars. billion dollar engineering companies like boeing, lockheed martin have access to these machines, and they are not printing 100 dollar kit car fenders with it. so let me reiterate how rediculous this thread is.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 11:23:40 AM by INSPIREcomposite »