Author Topic: I NEED DOOR HINGES or CAN I BUILD MY OWN?  (Read 12586 times)

minihawn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 84
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
Re: I NEED DOOR HINGES or CAN I BUILD MY OWN?
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2015, 12:06:19 PM »
be aware, the inner doors can be different, some dont have the "elevated" hinge pocket, so some of the hinges have the "extra pad" on the door mount side

i agree, thats y i opted to build mine. because of the way my chassis is built(vary well)
Fate has no choice

AdrianBurton

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 202
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2015, 11:59:38 AM »
be aware, the inner doors can be different, some dont have the "elevated" hinge pocket, so some of the hinges have the "extra pad" on the door mount side

dratts

• Liked: 14
  • Member Rating Points: +3/-0
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2015, 08:33:13 PM »
Joe from Fieroking on Pennocks has some quality units.  Give him a call. I don't know how much he's asking but he's always been fair with me.

minihawn

« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2015, 07:04:47 PM »
thanks guys. I'm going to take the plunge and try building a nice set.. i will keep the updates coming

I have a very nice set you can use as a template

CCIE

Shoot me a text
Fate has no choice

CCIE

• Liked: 96
  • Member Rating Points: +12/-0
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2015, 06:28:18 PM »
thanks guys. I'm going to take the plunge and try building a nice set.. i will keep the updates coming

I have a very nice set you can use as a template

CCIE
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 07:38:42 PM by CCIE »

minihawn

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2015, 02:27:31 PM »
Fate has no choice

SchulzeA

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Liked: 217
  • Member Rating Points: +33/-1
  • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2015, 01:49:57 PM »
I read a post about a guy who can make them in 45 minutes! You should talk to him. Oh wait, your not hanging a barn door and probabaly want something that isn't junk.
01 gave me his plans and they are really nice if you wish to build your own. Otherwise do yourself a favor and buy a good set. It's very important that you use a good quality product or you will be kicking yourself later when the doors are loose and cause latching/alignment issues.

eddie

• Liked: 285
  • Member Rating Points: +19/-2
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2015, 11:22:22 AM »
Right now on eBay oem Diablo / Murc
Like 400$ a piece .

minihawn

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2015, 10:58:32 AM »
I designed my hinges with the OEM bolt pattern for the Diablo.  I haven't seen a side by side comparison of the Murcie/Diablo hinges but I believe that they are close but they have different part numbers so they must have different in specs.

Fate has no choice

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2015, 10:21:24 AM »
I designed my hinges with the OEM bolt pattern for the Diablo.  I haven't seen a side by side comparison of the Murcie/Diablo hinges but I believe that they are close but they have different part numbers so they must have different specs. 
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 11:44:03 AM by 01Lambiero »
20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

lp670mike

• Lambo Mafia
  • Liked: 282
  • Member Rating Points: +10/-0
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2015, 11:10:40 AM »
OEM hinge $1199 ea. usd.  Of course you will want two.
Custom hinge $400/pair.  Your option.  Why do they cost $400?  My time is my time.  If you want it for free, look somewhere else.  The question I get is "How and where do I mount it?"  It's a custom fit by you.  It's our hobby.
Build your own.  How hard can it be?  Search around.  There are a dozen ways builders have built their own.

Are these hinges for the murci or diablo?

AdrianBurton

• Liked: 202
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2015, 08:52:57 AM »
Custom hinge $400/pair.  Your option.  Why do they cost $400?  My time is my time.  If you want it for free, look somewhere else.  The question I get is "How and where do I mount it?"  It's a custom fit by you.  It's our hobby.
Build your own.  How hard can it be?  Search around.  There are a dozen ways builders have built their own.

I have seen these hinges, They are worth the money, you'd be hard pressed to make them for this unless you own your own machining equipment

plans4sale

• Liked: 60
  • Member Rating Points: +2/-0
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2015, 08:40:24 PM »
That's also true, but having a weld machine does not equal to having the time/equipment/skills to create a door hinge up to the standard of an OEM look. It's the same reason most builders will prefer to buy steering columns and pedals, rather than fabricating these from metal rods and metal plates, respectively. Some people even don't bother to make their own trunk hinges, even though they are rather easy to make.

And that is true as well, but if they do not have the time/equipment/skills to build a simple door hinge, they have no business attempting to build one of these cars. They have none of the requirements.
It's hard to believe that a door hinge with OEM-like look could be done with $20, not to mention the time required. Sometimes, it's worth spending the money to acquire an OEM part (not necessarily limited only to door hinge) over investing time and effort to fabricate one that may not meet the high standards of the builder. Take for example the hood and engine cover hinges that we use on the FLT project. It was decided that OEM hinges from last gen Audi TT are the better option. They are widely available on all continents, reliable, have the necessary size and angle of operation, nice OEM look. Most important is, fabricating these from scratch to look like OEM would require too much time and money, should we choose to do it that way. We could easily use a hinge made out of bunch of drilled and bent laser cut plates, however, that would destroy the overall OEM look and feel we are targeting to. The same goes for A/C vents, switches, seats, manual shifter, latches, and many other parts that will not look and/or perform right if made with the money saving priority in mind. Virtually anything mechanical could be fabricated, but at the end f the day, it's the combination of investment/time/quality/look that matters.

your input doesnt mean anything when you believe you could get a 2 million dollar investor with a 3d model, or argue tool hardness to machine styrofoam. you are just dumb, that is why you almost died riding your bike.
You continue to amaze me of how desperately you deserve to be certified.
Custom 3d car & chassis design: https://www.facebook.com/sportni.koli.3
Finnluxury Tritium (FLT) body kit and chassis: https://www.facebook.com/finnluxury

minihawn

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2015, 07:45:23 PM »
614-813-7989 mack her is my number text or call so that we can work out the details , thanks
Fate has no choice

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2015, 07:25:17 PM »
20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired