Author Topic: Oem style front hood/trunk question??  (Read 12306 times)

No Bull

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • Liked: 299
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
  • Replication is the sincerest form of flattery
Re: Oem style front hood/trunk question??
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2012, 09:16:52 AM »
I will quite happily draw up my hinge and the replica you are using , seeing the difference between them should clarify the problem areas . I will post a couple of pics in the door hinge section, this will show the 'offset' that is required and also be in the relevant secton.
 ::wave

Awesome!  Just let me know what G28 measurements you need (if any) and I'll get them for you.  I seen your skeleton pictures that you posted in the door section and these really help.  I think this is the first time I've ever seen a picture of the hinges from the side that show an obvious curve in the hinge for extra fender clearance.  Other pictures that I've seen in the past would make you think that the hinge was just flat casted piece.

Thanks,

Chris 
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 09:19:51 AM by No Bull »

No Bull

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2012, 09:05:31 AM »
I have to clean up my welds and paint everything but at least it works smooth!

Jets.. as usual your car is looking awesome!  I love seeing new pictures of it and my motivation level goes up each time I see it.  Guys like you are setting a really high standard that the rest of us are following and the result is a new generation of higher quality builds.  Could you post some "close ups" of your hinges?  It looks like you did some pretty heavy modifications to them.  It's hard to make out but in the pictures you posted I can see that you made new triangle mounting sections on the hinges.

Please keep the pictures and build updates coming..   ::headbang

Thanks,

Chris

String

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Liked: 135
  • Member Rating Points: +19/-0
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2012, 04:38:12 AM »

Now that we know you have some mad CAD skills, are you interested in volunteering to do a drawing for mounted door hinges and how they should be mounted on a G28?  Getting the angles and measurements correct so the doors clear the fenders in the up position is still a bit of a mystery and it's probably one of the most asked questions on the site. 

I would like to see the drawings based around a G28 body and the OEM style hinges that Jim developed.  Documenting this once could make one of the most challenging parts of the build simpler for future builders.  I can provide all the measurements if you are willing to assemble everything in a drawing and move the hinges around so they doors open correctly?

Thanks,

Chris

I will quite happily draw up my hinge and the replica you are using , seeing the difference between them should clarify the problem areas . I will post a couple of pics in the door hinge section, this will show the 'offset' that is required and also be in the relevant secton.
 ::wave
Oooh , Red leather.

Jets303

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 148
  • Member Rating Points: +6/-0
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2012, 11:55:20 PM »
I have to clean up my welds and paint everything but at least it works smooth!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 08:57:14 AM by No Bull »

No Bull

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2012, 09:31:36 AM »
Honda Prelude booth hinges are the same as OEM as i have these on my Lambo (Extreme kit car version) and they work the same as OEM

Are these the hinges you used?  (See Picture)

Can you post a couple pictures of them mounted on your car? 

Thanks,

Chris

Peggyontherunireland

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 18
  • Member Rating Points: +5/-0
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2012, 03:54:07 AM »
Honda Prelude booth hinges are the same as OEM as i have these on my Lambo (Extreme kit car version) and they work the same as OEM

Jets303

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2012, 09:18:45 PM »
Nice! Those pictures and drawings is going to really help! I was able to modify a set of Pontiac Grand Prix hinges and it works well but the pivot angles are still slightly off. I'll post a pic

No Bull

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2012, 05:55:20 PM »
The drawings are amazing and it makes one thing clear to me... they are pretty complex.  :)

Posting them here like you have it is good.  I'm personally going to look for a set from a salvage car and try to avoid the $250 they are asking for each side brand new (plus struts).

Now that we know you have some mad CAD skills, are you interested in volunteering to do a drawing for mounted door hinges and how they should be mounted on a G28?  Getting the angles and measurements correct so the doors clear the fenders in the up position is still a bit of a mystery and it's probably one of the most asked questions on the site. 

I would like to see the drawings based around a G28 body and the OEM style hinges that Jim developed.  Documenting this once could make one of the most challenging parts of the build simpler for future builders.  I can provide all the measurements if you are willing to assemble everything in a drawing and move the hinges around so they doors open correctly?

Thanks,

Chris

String

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2012, 05:41:10 PM »
Well , I have drawn up a pair of hinges , phew..    I think I would get hold of a pair of boot hinges to at least remove the pivot pins and washers to re-use.Then some bending of some 2mm bar might see a set done. The small pin in the mount plate - between the hinge pins is an absolute must , otherwise the hinge would tend to go over-centre and lock up.
Closed position

open position

What is the best format & where to post ?

Oooh , Red leather.

usmc_butler

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Liked: 418
  • Member Rating Points: +33/-0
  • Mafia Productions
    • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2012, 07:58:19 AM »
String great info thanks for sharing  ::thumbup

No Bull

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2012, 07:04:38 AM »
Thanks Neil.

If you have any measurements or drawings to share, that would be awesome.

Chris

String

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, 02:28:55 AM »
Hi,
I have taken a picture of the hinges side by side , open and closed . Hopefully that will clarify the necessity of having all the pivot points in line with each other - all in the same plane . I started by looking for vehicles with tapered body panels , e.g the new VW beetle - but they angle the wrong way, couldn't see a way of swapping them side to side.

I have started to draw them up in CAD if of interest to anyone .
Also they are a tight fit and only just fit in the space in the water run channel.

Regards , Neil ::wave
Oooh , Red leather.

Jets303

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 01:48:16 PM »
sounds good Chris I will keep you posted.

Ya Ive had a few Dustin but its on the other site. Im just getting all the wiring cleaned up in the engine bay before I take a video. I may start on the engine paneling as well but for now I need to get these hinges figured out!

usmc_butler

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Liked: 418
  • Member Rating Points: +33/-0
  • Mafia Productions
    • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 07:43:10 PM »
Good luck in the hinge Jett's! I'll be either worming on this soon or looking for a set to buy also. I got a inner hood from Bart also. Any updates you your build thread?

Dustin

No Bull

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 06:29:31 PM »
I see what you mean Chris. I built one kind of like the OEM one IKR but the tricky part is the "swing" angle isn't 90 degrees. It steps out then up (if that makes sense) and then needs to revert back to its original position. Ive been working with a mechanical engineer here at work and we may have drawn something out in solidworks that may work. I will keep this thread posted.

Get it figured out and build a set that works well and I'll be a customer for sure if the price is reasonable.  I'm sure some builders are shaking their heads and wondering why all the fuss about how the panel opens or what it looks like underneath but for me it's all about the finish and I want the quality extended to any panel that opens up.

Patiently standing by and awaiting updates on your progress.  :)

Chris