How To - Tips > Fiberglass & Paint

Side marker lights body work

(1/1)

★Murci-Me★:
Lambo_Sam is right, its a pretty simple task. The most important thing is to use good SHARP tools when doing it, it will spare you the problem of chipping around the cut and more touch-up afterwards.
I have actually done this on 2 other already painted cars with no problems. The best way to do it is to make a pattern to route the hole into the fender with a top bearing bottom bit in a router. Make the pattern so it clamps onto the fender, and don't rush the routing. You will be left with a perfectly matching hole for the light, and a clean straight cut in the fiberglass that will be near "paint ready". all you'll have to do then is lightly sand the cut edge to give it a slight radius edge, then touch up the paint inside the hole.

lambo_sam:
Why don't you just do it yourself? Dremel tool, ruler, masking tape, pencil, and dura glass in some fabbed brackets, matching color pen, Done!

CCIE:
Builders...

How much would you think it should cost to do the body work of cutting 1 inch x 4 inch peace and recess it in the fiberglass body and touch up paint for all 4 corners for the Lamborghini Diablo side marker lights, like in the pic below. I have received quotes all over the place and just trying to gain some insite. I suspect it cant be no more then 4 hour work for a professional. I also dont want to go the cheapest route but dont want to get taken either.
By the way you should hear all the explanation I have received form some of the scam artiest uhmmm body shop as why it will be very expansive.. as an example one body shop quoted me $1500 per corner and recommended a full paint job totaling over $15K and said this is custom work and no one in town will touch it yet I have many people interested, another shop mentioned that this will be at least 30 hours of work. (WOW). Another person mentioned that his employees are angry that they have to do this custom work and "you dont want a angry person working on your car" so the owner has to make them happy (another-words its going to cost me ) even though there employees were ecstatic they will be working on a lambo (there were 5 of them outside just googling over the car and most said they have never seen a Lambo in real life let alone work on one and didn't matter if it was a clone... WOW!!!! another shop mentioned this is Lamborghini work and it will cost me Lamborghini prices!!! (really!!!)
The cheapest I have gotten is $100 which I feel is way too low and not sure if I can trust him with my car...

Any recommendation is greatly appreciated

CCIE

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version