Author Topic: Am33r's Inferno Roadster  (Read 38508 times)

am33r

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 37
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
  • YOLO
Re: Am33r's Inferno Roadster
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 02:40:10 PM »
STRETCHING THE MR2 (RESEARCH)

I discussed the stretch with a friend who chops cars for a living and he suggested cutting the car on the sides diagonally.  I then drew a non-adjacent cut having around 10" lateral separation (the amount of the stretch) and this was just to make the chassis stronger.  I then researched and found out that the gas tank requires larger tunnel area near the rear after the average stretch.  So to address both factors I mad a simple illustration that signified both concepts being solved.

Pics labled Am33r are my Concept Cut.

Then I discussed the matter with Mitch - the only friend on this forum who chopped an MR2 - who actually thought it through as well and had already thought a similar concept when he cut his car, and his concept preserved symmetry.

Pics labled Mitch are his Concept Cut.

I didn’t have my MR2 at the time I researched this matter; at the time I sold my MR2 Turbo and had yet to buy the one I have now. Theoretically, we all wanted to improve on the CKI cut because it just didn't LOOK strong enough

I thought about the matter a lot, and my conclusion after a while was that we need a stronger stretch cut than CKI but we don't really need to alter the basics.

1.   We are trying to strengthen the chassis by altering the cut when we can strengthen it otherwise. In fact, Mitch had already added steel side bars 3”x3” across the length of the midsection pillars. However, I had to think of it mechanically.
2.   To distribute the tension points into more than two adjacent lines creates lateral cutting and welding that doubles the amount in the original design.  This additional latitudinal work is in fact “repair” rather than “strength” and will negatively counter the positive effect presumably gained from the redistribution of the points of interest.
3.   The rear modification cut – designed to salvage the wider space for fuel tank size is a positive improvement that is only countered by once again the argument above! To create a solution for this matter the new part of the tunnel will just have to be cranked wider.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 02:42:10 PM by am33r »

mogoes49

• Liked: 0
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 10:08:05 PM »
hell yeah bang her out  ::headbang ameer

am33r

• YOLO
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 07:52:04 PM »
I wanted to start on the build on May 1st. but I worked on it for a few days already to get a head-start

We started with a fully fuctional and dependable vehicle. During the past few days we worked on the donor itself (The MR2). We Fully Gutted the Interior, and Partially Stripped the exterior and under the car in preparation for stretching the car. Here is the car in front of my garage at different stages.  I Started the morning by lifting the hood...

This took me 12 hours (8A to 8P) with the help of my brothers who put in 4 hours, 3 hours, and my friend who put in 5 hours (They are all car-experts). I put in the whole 12 of course!

The car is ready for a stretch  ::beers

We removed EVERYTHING in the cockpit out of the way by unplugging or disconnecting lines / wires / cables / etc. WITHOUT CUTTING ANYTHING.

Also, under the car, all lines were saved and DISCONNECTED rather than cut.

*If we cut anything it will be when we re-assemble the car for fitting purposes after the stretch.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 08:21:47 PM by am33r »

BigPines

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Liked: 272
  • Member Rating Points: +28/-1
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 05:51:06 PM »
I will be watching with interest.  ::thumbup
If I don't have time to do it right, when will I have time to do it over?

usmc_butler

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Liked: 418
  • Member Rating Points: +33/-0
  • Mafia Productions
    • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 03:17:03 PM »
 ::bounce  ::headbang ::rocker ::beers ::toothy

::LAMBO

am33r

• YOLO
Am33r's Inferno Roadster
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 02:46:49 PM »
I want to thank you all (and the friends on the other few forums) for the valuable info you shared.

Here is my build:

Build Classification (Kit / Donor): G28 / MR2.MKII
Build Option (Power / Style): 4cyl 2.2 NA / Roadster
Build Trim: Inferno (Two tone Orange-Red on Black)

Many of the steps in this build share techniques with other build possibilities. An example of a similar build would be

Classification: John Wattson / Fiero
Option: Turbo / Coupe
Trim: OEM Murcy

I will be refering to this build as "Inferno" for short.

THIS IS A TWO-STAGE BUILD

Stage 1 should end when the car is on the road and can be driven safely and normally. Stage 2 will give attention to functionality like moving windows, trunk space, soft top, windshield wiper, etc.

It's May 1st. and Here we go  :)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 12:11:06 AM by am33r »