Author Topic: Replicate cast aluminum  (Read 1521 times)

RT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 308
  • Member Rating Points: +28/-0
Re: Replicate cast aluminum
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2020, 10:22:44 PM »
Bartman...
I checked out Eastman Aluma blast.  It appears that is a finish to restore the color and protect the surface of existing aluminum.  Sounds good but I couldn't find anywhere that it creates the texture of cast aluminum.  A good product I'm sure because Eastman makes good stuff.  I just took a shortcut to create the texture of sand cast aluminum on regular sheet steel.  It is just a way to cheat the eye into thinking it is cast aluminum.
The part and manifold in my pictures were both painted with the Krylon metallic paint spray can shown so they appear as one.

RT
It isn't enough to want a Lambo, you have to want to BUILD A CAR.

Bartman

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 23
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2020, 09:15:17 PM »
I've used Eastwood aluma blast for many years, probably 25 or more. Great idea about adding texture.  Eastwood also has finishes to look like cast iron and others.

eddie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 286
  • Member Rating Points: +19/-2
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2020, 04:47:32 PM »
Cool , thanks for sharing

RT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 308
  • Member Rating Points: +28/-0
Replicate cast aluminum
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2020, 04:01:49 PM »
Hey guys...
When making my build I wanted to add a cover to the rear of my intake manifold to hide a block-off plate for the EGR port.  I could have just fabricated a sheet steel cover and painted it but it would still stand out as a cover.  I found a way to paint the steel fabricated cover and make it look like the cast aluminum intake.
First make your cover and body work it with radius edges and fillet corners so it looks like it could be a casting.  Then prep it for paint and paint it with Rust-oleum Multicolor textured paint.  I know, it is the wrong color but hang on.  The texture is identical to cast aluminum.  When dry, paint over it with metallic paint (or the color you used to paint your manifold or whatever you are trying to match). The result is cast aluminum.  See attached pictures.
It isn't enough to want a Lambo, you have to want to BUILD A CAR.